Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default The MPx Or The Car: Given the Choice... I Believe I'll Take the Benz

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...threadid=550550

Bengalboy over at HowardForums has posted a nice set of pictures showing off the good and the bad aspects of his production model Mpx. His overall conclusion?

"My Opinion is that the Motorola MpX is the Absolute Best Evidence that Mediocrity was the Product Performance Objective of Motorola's Engineers. "

:|

The pictures are pretty nice though!

In related news, Arne over at PPCW.net has interesting news that the Mpx will definitely be coming to the EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Asia) market though Motorola's exclusive distribution agreement with Dangaard. So now everyone in the EMEA region won't feel left out when it comes to criticizing this device's lack of memory and power - because as Arne points out, it will still only have 32 MB of memory when released there!

Old 02-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

They should change their splash screen from "HelloMoto" to "GoodbyeMoto". I think pencils come with more memory than the MPx does.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:37 PM
Stephen Beesley
Thoughts Media Review Team

It really is a shame about the specification of this device. It has the looks and the innovation, but just not the substance to back it up.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Underwater Mike
Thinker

The car sure looks nice, but if it shares the reliability of my M-class, you'd be better off with the MpX. :?

Old 02-15-2005, 03:19 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher

Very disappointing device. It DOES look sexy and definitely something I want in a combo device. Something I want SO much, that I am willing to hold out until a GOOD one comes out. The PDA2K or whatever that one with the slider is nice and all, but I want one that almost looks like a regular cell and this one does. I don't even care if it had VGA or not. If it would just have MORE RAM and MORE CPU I would be very happy. Even if it had a Samsung or one of the other slower chips it would be better then this.

Old 02-15-2005, 04:17 PM
alabij
Intellectual

Did I see 195Mhtz? My vision is really hurting me. No matter how long I stare it doesn't get any clearer. Oh well! such is life..

Old 02-15-2005, 06:34 PM
ucfgrad93
Intellectual

Damn, only 23MB of RAM? I'm not a power user by any means, but even I would be hard pressed to live on that.

Old 02-16-2005, 02:20 AM
Phoenix
Sage

I remember reading this thread over at Howard Forums a few weeks ago and thinking how he, too, hit it on the head.

I've abandoned the idea of the MPx. If something ever does come of it, it won't be for a long while. It seems that Moto doesn't care, so my money will go elsewhere.

The iPAQ hw6700 won't arrive until autumn sometime, the MPx is a no-go, and the other 3G PPC phones won't show up State-side anytime soon. So it looks like I'll be spending my dough on an iMate JAM 2 when those finally arrive.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

I'll take the Porsche. God, it's beautiful. Was there an MPx somewhere?

Old 02-16-2005, 09:20 AM
dma1965
Thinker

The problem with all of these devices is that nearly all of them fall short in one major area, and what amazes me is how this does not come out in testing. I mean, c'mon, how in the Hell did this thing even perform with only 32 megs of RAM when they were testing the features. Open a spreadsheet, play a video, surf the web, and with this limited power and RAM the device has GOT TO LOCK UP AT LEAST ONCE A DAY, if not more. How in the world does someone put the stamp of approval on this? What frustrates me the most is how most of the other non PPC phones have loads of features and stability with piddly amounts of RAM. You got video, camera, voice dialing, T9, smart dialing, assignable ringtones, calendar, alarm, etc. all in a package that can be hidden in the palm of my hand. Then you got the PPC devices which are just lagging. I am just confused here. :?