Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Socket Introduces SDIO 56K Modem

http://www.socketcom.com/product/MO7200-558.asp

"Easy and reliable Internet access that is Faster, Quicker and comes with advanced features! Stay connected to the Internet using your Windows Mobile device along with a Socket SDIO 56K Modem with V.92 and V.90 technology. Perfect for checking email, faxing or browsing the web from a remote office, hotel room or home. Ideal for when Wi-Fi or cellular coverage is not available."

Sweet! I'll be removing that bluetooth 56K modem from my Amazon wish list in favor of this. The downside to the SDIO card is while the modem is in use, you can't use any apps that are installed on your SD card, but the upsides are it is smaller, will undoubtably be easier to configure and should be cheaper as it won't require an external power source and all the extra expense that entails for an external device. It will work with all Pocket PC 2003SE, 2003 and 2002 devices with BSquare's SDIO Now! software.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:07 PM
szamot
Sage

Personally I am waiting for the 8 Track adapter. A Modem? Why? W?BIC just does not fit the lofty aspiration of the phrase. Is it just me or are manufacturers getting lazy in the invention depo?

Old 02-14-2005, 05:33 PM
marcm
Intellectual

This could be quite useful during travel, as not everywhere has Internet access when you need it, but (usually :?) all places have telephone access. It would be great if they made a LAN adapter in this form, as some hotels have LAN, but not WLAN, or they only have WLAN in the lobby. It's not inventive, but it could be useful!

Old 02-14-2005, 05:47 PM
jpaq
Intellectual

I'm with szamot.
I did hear that Socket was also about to release Betamax, Cassette Player, 8-Track, Vinyl Album, and an Atari Joystick adapter all as part of their new I love the 70's and 80's value pack!

:?
- Dr. Cox, Scrubs

Old 02-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by szamot
Personally I am waiting for the 8 Track adapter. A Modem? Why? W?BIC just does not fit the lofty aspiration of the phrase. Is it just me or are manufacturers getting lazy in the invention depo?
THis has nothing to do with W?BIC. THis has to do with a company understanding the US market.

1. Cellular coverage isn't ubiquitous.
2. Few hotels have WiFi, especially in rural areas.
3. Even when cellular coverage is there, it may not have data services.
4. Even when cellular coverage is there and has data, it might not be compatible. CDMA vs GSM.
5. Even when cellular coverage exists with data and is the same type of network, it might not be yours, so you will pay exorbitant roaming charges on the data.

So, you are in a hotel in a small town in Oklahoma and you need to check your email. You have no data coverage and the hotel doesn't have Wifi. What do you do?

FOr the same reason I still make sure 100% of the laptops I buy have a modem built in, it gives me comfort to know that mobile devices can also have a 56K modem in a guys travel bag so they can dial into the companies RAS server using the 800 number.

It isn't sexy. It isn't cool. It also isn't dumb. You use the right tool for the right job. I am not too proud, egotistical or vain to whip out a modem to get the job done. :mrgreen:

Old 02-14-2005, 06:22 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

Actually, I'd reconsider the advantages of a BT modem. With the SD card, you and your PocketPC will be tethered to the phone cables. If you are in a hotel or something, you better have a long phone cable with you if you want to wonder more than a feet feet from the wall and the phone jack

With a BT modem, you connect the phone cables to the modem and leave it on a desk or even on the floor or something. Then you can wonder around the room without a phone cable chaining you down.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleReeck

With a BT modem, you connect the phone cables to the modem and leave it on a desk or even on the floor or something. Then you can wonder around the room without a phone cable chaining you down.
You're right Dale, except Bluetooth being Bluetooth, more often than not it's easier just to plug the dang cable in and be done with it.

I have a Bluetooth 56k modem, figuring it would be cool to use it as you have mentioned, but it is just too flaky. I think the SD option is a very viable. Many of the situations Ed mentioned are bang on, whether you use a BT modem or the SD, there is still a demand for 56k dialup.

Dave

Old 02-14-2005, 06:47 PM
David Prahl
Pontificator

Although I personally don't have a use for this product I'm glad to see it finally hit the market. I've heard PPCT members wish they had an SD modem many times.

Thanks, Socket! :wink:

Old 02-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Cool one step in the right direction. Now if only i could get a 10/100 full duplex lan SD card. I have a CF one that i use all the time for network testing but my new sx66 doesn't have a CF slot. It would be nice too if it had 10 or 100, full or half duplex, and link lights. I would buy one in an instant!

Old 02-14-2005, 07:37 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher

Yeah but I bet that you will pay 100+ for this. Nah, I would rather by something else. I have not used a modem unless I have had to for years. Also, note for you Ed, almost all Red Roof Inns have free WiFi. I bet I can even find a little town in OK that has it.