Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-12-2005, 02:26 AM
yslee
Thinker
Default Mobile computing devices - What do you carry?

Ok folks, with all the different kinds of devices in all shapes and sizes that are available, and with more to come, have you ever wondered about the devices to use to accomodate your mobile computing habits and usage?

I ask this because everytime a new Pocket PC comes out there'll always be someone baying that it doesn't have this, or that, or whatever. I know that some want everything, but I'm less picky, because I know that no matter what device is released, I'll still have to rely on more than one device for my needs, simply because of the different needs I have at different times. No device is going to be able to do-it-all. Most likely we all pick upon a combination of devices to do our work; however I wonder how much thought do we put into assembling this portfolio of devices?

Looking at the market, I think what we have are the following devices that are available to us road warriors:

1. Dumb phone - Your basic cell phone, makes calls, sends and recieves SMS, and that's about it. With or without Bluetooth, maybe a few Java "applications". An example would be a Nokia 3200 series phone.

2. Smartphone, with or without bluetooth - Running a proper OS that can support a wide range of add-on applications and PC connectivity. Example would be devices on MS Smartphone OS, or Symbian Series 60.

3. Low-end PDAs - These are typically smaller devices, with less features, or crippled ones. The iPaq 1900 series, Acer N series, and most Palms are such devices.

4. Mid-range PDAs - In-betweens that offer more of the above, but not as much as those below. iPaq 2200 series, hx3700 series, the Zire 70s, and the Dell Axim X50 (maybe the Tungsten T5, judging from the overall reaction online).

5. High-end PDAs - Almost everything but the kitchen sink. iPaq 4700 and the Dell Axim X50v are two examples.

6. Smaller PDA phones - PDAs that can function as a phone, but not too big. HTC Magician and the Treo series are examples.

7. Larger PDA phones - Typically more full featured, and usually labelled as bricks. See HTC Blue Angel, the upcoming MDA IV, and Nokia's Communicator series.

8. HPC-type devices - These are fairly rare now, though I really liked the Psion 5mx, and the Jornada 720 then. Closest would be one of the clamshell Sharp Zaurus. Great when the keyboard is great, and the battery life is good.

9. Small tablet devices on other OSes - Not very common as well. Too big to be regarded as a PDA, but typically offering more in features. Samsung Nexio is an example.

10. Small Tablet devices on a "proper" OS - An emerging market I'd love to see more of! Sony U series, OQO are the few examples from this field.

11. Tablet PCs - Tablet only, no keyboard attached. Usually they are quite small, but generally over 1kg, which make carrying them as a legal pad as fun as juggling dumbbells.

12. Ultra Portables - Small in size, typically under 1.5kg, typically no optical drives. IBM X40 and the Fujitsu P1000 series are two examples. Tablet PCs with attached keyboards are included here.

13. Subnotebook - under 2kg. Still small notebooks, but sometimes the size and weight increase from an ultra portable make a difference. Fujitsu S series notebooks come in this category. Tablet PCs with attached keyboards are included here.

14. Mainstream notebook - Under 3kg notebooks, with features that can mostly replicate the desktop experience. Too many examples, but I really really like the Compaq B3800 series.

15. Desktop replacement - Really Big Heavy Things design to well, replace a desktop. Portable in the most charitable sense of the word, but they come with both power-hungry and power-oodles-of-it desktop components.

I might have missed out on a few classes of devices, and the classification I think can do with some further refinement.

For me, I'm undecided on how best to approach this. My aging X20 is still working fine, but if I need a notebook replacement I'm unsure if I should go with something from the following:

- Mainstream notebook and a larger PocketPC phone,
- Mainstream notebook, a small dumbphone with BT, and a high end PocketPC
- Mainstream notebook, a smaller PDA Phone, and a HPC-type device
- Ultra Portable and a smaller PDA phone

The first option offers a lot of power on the go, but the devices are heavier and bulkier. The second and third options offer the freedom of leaving something behind, plus seperating the devices decreases the chance one device will have a flat battery at the wrong time. However buying 3 devices is very very stressful on one's pocket. The last option is the kind of light mobile computing that I like, but potentially lacking in power.

I'm curious to see what you guys have for your mobile computing needs; do they complement each other, and what kind of setup do you tend to gravitate to?

Old 02-12-2005, 05:07 AM
CTSLICK
Sage

Semi-Dumb Phone: Sony-Ericsson T608 (Bluetooth) with Sprint + Vision Data Service.

Dell Axim X5 with a Bluetooth CF card and a WiFi CF card.

Targus IR Keyboard for the Axim.

Apple 12" Powerbook with Bluetooth and Wifi.

I tend to gravitate to having my wireless bases covered and to having some options when deciding what I need to bring with me. A night out? just my cell phone. Day to day at the office, my Axim and my cell phone. Business trips everything I listed above. I have had very good luck using my T608 to connect both my Axim and my Powerbook to the internet. Speed is just good enough. The Axim and the Powerbook have also proven very adept at latching onto WiFi when its available. In any case this setup has been very good to me so far and it all fits in a compact briefcase.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:19 AM
MacBriar
Ponderer

My current setup is;

Motorola Razor V3 (me a sucker for shiny things)
HP Hx4705
Fujitsu-Siemens TC3010 Tablet PC

I use a combination of the phone/Pocket PC for GPRS internet, email when out and about at the weekend. While teaching I use the tablet PC for attendance, storing grades, ink annotating pupils work, giving software demonstrations with interactive whiteboards and developing the website/intranet and administering an online booking system and webmail for staff.

The tablet PC has replaced a sucession of mainstream notebooks and when used with Microsoft Onenote is invaluable. At school we bought in a number of different tablets for a trial both convertible and slate based, when I bought my tablet I opted for the convertible format, but now I wish I had gone for the slate with an attachable keyboard.

Hope this helps.

Ewan

Old 03-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Audiovox smt5600 smartphone
Toshiba e830 Pocket PC
HP ze1250 Notebook (Though I'm looking to replace it)

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 03-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Typhoon
Sage

Smartphone? - Samsung x427
low-end PDA - HP H1945
Mainstream notebook? - Dell 700m

Yea, as you can see, I'm not rich. But these models do me well.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:20 AM
juni
Sage

For phone needs: P900
For recreation and serious computing: hx4700

I refuse to lug around a laptop, but if I had to it would be a small apple one.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Pocket PC: HP iPAQ h1940
Phone: Nokia 6610i
Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600 (not compact, but beefy!)

I find whenever I head out, it'll be my Pocket PC and phone that get slipped into my pocket. I'll only bring my notebook with me when I have to attend to some work or make some presentations (mainly due to the size of the notebook and the effort required to lug it around).

The Pocket PC will still allow me to hop on the internet when need be - the notebook only adds that bit of luxury to the user interface. I've lived on such a setup for a few years now, and it has served me well thus far.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:59 AM
maximus
2000 Posts And This is All I Get?
Send a message via ICQ to maximus Send a message via MSN to maximus

With me :

Motorola V600, XDA II (or dell axim X5/GPRS CF) for my data need and ECS g556e laptop for work/entertainment.

With wife :

Motorola mpx220, XDA mini and a Dell laptop for work.

Old 03-10-2005, 03:57 PM
jbachandouris
Theorist

Phone-Motorola v710
PDA-HP hx4705
Laptop-HP Pavillion w/15.4" screen,P4 3Ghz/HT,512MB

Old 03-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

I generally only carry my PDA2k - it's got everything I need. If I HAVE to run a PC app, I'll bring my IBM T40. It's a great laptop - I just prefer to travel with a light load.