Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 02-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Has HP Abandoned 63xx Owners?

My 6315 seems to be coming up a lot in conversation lately, and if there is one thing this device does well its dividing people into two well defined groups: Those who like it, and those who absolutely hate it. I personally have a love-hate relationship with this machine. On one hand, when it works properly, I love it. On the other hand, the majority of the time is broken / hung up / soft resetting, etc.. - I hate it. And despite all of the various pros and cons of the device and the vocal discussion of it here and elsewhere, HP seems unable or unwilling to fix it.

Personally, I felt until recently that I had just been spoiled by ROM updates from HTC through Club I-mate, which occur fairly regularly. I figured they were the exception and that HP's 6 months without a ROM update may be normal. However, after receiving a few emails from other users, and realizing that 6 months is a pretty substantial time in computer terms, I've re-evaluated my thoughts and am now wondering if perhaps I was wrong.

Do you think that HP has abandoned 63xx users? Is it a crime of carelessness (i.e. they don't care about us) or a crime of misinformation (i.e. they don't know how to fix it)? What should we, as consumers and community participants, do about it, other than just give up and move to a new device?

Old 02-16-2005, 12:14 AM
cesarfong
Ponderer

not only 6XXX users.. i guess in the whole new family, I feel HP is not worrying more for his customers.. i hope i am wrong but the time is giving us the right

HP is very worry creating new models but be careful as we say in spanish "el que mucho abarca poco aprieta"... (who wants more, do less)

Old 02-16-2005, 01:08 AM
alabij
Intellectual

6 months is a long time for a device that supposedly has a life of 1yr. Personally I blame T-Mobile for ever picking up this crap from HP. They should have stuck to the HTC phone like they've been doing in their European divisions.

Let's be honest. When this device works its great. More often than not it fails when needed the most. I thought the whole idea of the PPC was convenience.

HPs failure in the PC and PPC media isn't due to Carly, it's pure lack of customer service. The way I see it, HP treats its consumers as if it were dealing with its B2B partners, "this is what we have, take it or leave it"

Old 02-16-2005, 01:09 AM
williamtai
Neophyte
Default similar feeling

I definitely felt abandoned by HP. For a device that cost $600, I would hope that HP would be more willing to fix the enormous amounts of bugs on this ppc. When it's working, it's good as a converged device. But the number of times that I have to soft reset the device to get it back in working order (whether from hung software, memory leaks, or no reception until reset) is next to ridiculus. I've been telling friends to stay far away from this model until they get it right.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:33 AM
johnegq
Pupil

THEY FORCED ME TO SELL IT!

They have abondoned us!!! I had my 6315 for a couple months and prayed for a ROM update. No Update! I sold mine on Ebay just a few days ago! I purchased it expecting to be able to use bluetooth...worked occassionally. I hoped the Samsung processor would be strong...its weak (by todays new processor standards)

HTC rocks! I am so jealous of their phones! Too bad they are sooo expensive. I resorted to two devices again: Axim x50v & n-gage qd. I am so amazed by the power and screen of the x50v!

Old 02-16-2005, 01:37 AM
bvkeen
Intellectual

I don't have the 6315, but had a 4700 until 3 weeks ago. Other than its memory and bluetooth issues, I loved it. But I tried a Dell x5Ov and bought it and sold my 4700. Within three days of receiving my x5Ov, Dell had a ROM update for it. And, rumor has it that they have one in the works to address some bluetooth issues. Based on my past experience with HP, I'd be surprised if they issue a ROM update in the near future. I've always loved the HP devices I've owned, but it looks like Dell is trying to be number one and is putting forth the effort to do so.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:43 AM
freitasm
Oracle
Default Re: Has HP Abandoned 63xx Owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall
What should we, as consumers and community participants, do about it, other than just give up and move to a new device?
Other than this? Move to a new brand - or back to the old one (i-mate). The devices i-mate is working on are really nice machines. Even the original i-mate Pocket PC Phone Edition (O2 XDAII) is a good machine. The PDA2k and PDA2k EV-DO are really nice - fast, plenty of memory and good support.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:47 AM
lowair
Pupil
Default abandoned

I am not a 6315 owner. But I felt betrayed during my 5550 experience. I know that my next device will be a smartphone/pocketpc. But I have been totally turned off from HP. I am still not sure what I am going to choose, but I can tell you this, it will NOT be an hp product!

Old 02-16-2005, 01:48 AM
MikeUnwired
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to MikeUnwired Send a message via Yahoo to MikeUnwired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvkeen
I don't have the 6315, but had a 4700 until 3 weeks ago. Other than its memory and bluetooth issues, I loved it. But I tried a Dell x5Ov and bought it and sold my 4700. Within three days of receiving my x5Ov, Dell had a ROM update for it. And, rumor has it that they have one in the works to address some bluetooth issues. Based on my past experience with HP, I'd be surprised if they issue a ROM update in the near future. I've always loved the HP devices I've owned, but it looks like Dell is trying to be number one and is putting forth the effort to do so.
I've had my hx4700 since the very beginning and haven't had any problems with it that would require a ROM update. Sure, I'd like Windows Media 10 and the updates to Pocket Informant, but what I have isn't broken per se either. I use the WiFi and Bluetooth pretty much everyday to some degree and haven't had any hiccups that would make me wonder when HP was going to fix this blasted thing.

Now, I'm sure there are things lurking in the system that could be improved -- and that would be nice. But, I'm not seeing a need to run to the phone and call HP about this or that either on the hx4700. From what I hear, the h6315 is a different matter entirely. If I had the problems you guys have had with that, I'd be up in arms too.

It's my understanding that the Dell X50v has pretty poor battery life (the recent review at The Gadgeteer proves that point yet again.) I rarely run out of battery before I run out of day and that's important to me.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:49 AM
alex_kac
Thinker

Not to defend anyone or any company, I do want to point out something about phone devices. Phone devices have a much greater wait for updates because operators do not like changing software on their networks. They require 3-6 months of testing PER UPDATE in many cases. So it may not be HP's fault.