Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default HP Fire Carly Fiorina: Much Rejoicing (Apparently)

http://www.thestreet.com/tech/hardw...e/10208131.html

"Carly Fiorina was ousted Wednesday as chairman and chief executive of Hewlett-Packard , ending a stormy six-year tenure that was marred by the heretofore unsuccessful acquisition of Compaq Computer. The shares rallied $1.57, or 7.8%, to $21.71 in morning trading."

Well, this surprise announcement brings Carly's reign at HP to an end. Hopefully this will end the lackadaisical performance of the past few years. The stock market certainly liked the news. ;-) The initial reports suggests that HP's strategy will remain the same, but lets hope they can raise their game with regards to their Pocket PCs. They need to. Now, when discussing this news remember, play nicely and don't gloat too much! ;-)

Old 02-09-2005, 05:05 PM
daveshih
Ponderer
Default You're kidding, right?

Right? Kidding, right??? 8O

My goodness...too shocked to know what to say... 8O

Old 02-09-2005, 05:07 PM
daS
Thinker

Quote:
"While I regret the board and I have differences about how to execute HP's strategy, I respect their decision," said Fiorina. "HP is a great company and I wish all the people of HP much success in the future."
I guess when she talks about "all the people of HP", she's not including the 17,000 she fired while lining her own pockets with millions of dollars.

Perhaps now, the company will return to its innovative roots and earn the "invent" tag she added to the logo while ousting the founders' names from the company.

Okay, I know you said no gloating, but as someone that grew up seeing Hewlett-Packard as a model of how a company could produce great products while keeping their employees happy and be a positive corporate citizen in the community, I hated the way that Carly distroyed all of that. Let's just hope it's not too late to turn the company around. :cry:

I'm sure that Bill and Dave are resting more in peace today than yesterday.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

I looked at my calendar twice thinking it was April 1st. Nope - this one's fact, folks!

Old 02-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by daS
Okay, I know you said no gloating, but as someone that grew up seeing Hewlett-Packard as a model of how a company could produce great products while keeping their employees happy and be a positive corporate citizen in the community, I hated the way that Carly distroyed all of that. Let's just hope it's not too late to turn the company around. :cry:
Agreed. I worked for Hewlett-Packard (rather than the 'new' HP) for a year and I have been really saddened to see what has become of that formerly great company. Lets hope HP can pull out of the nosedive it.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Dazbot
Intellectual

I saw this about 10 minutes ago at the register, can't believe someone at HP has seen sence at last. About time.

Quote:
In a memo emailed to HP employees today, Wayman said that "in her six years as CEO, Carly has revitalized the company. She had a strategic vision that has given HP the capabilities to compete and win.
Yeah right. :roll:

Still its ove now, maybe the next line of Pocket PCs might actually be worth buying. I'm sticking with my 2210 till then.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:28 PM
dbrahms
Intellectual

I hear her most recent project at HP was the Ipaq 6315 line... HAHAHAHA

Old 02-09-2005, 05:41 PM
jfreiman
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to jfreiman

My fourth and LAST iPaq was going to be the 4150 (not even designed by HP) but now that they are under new control I am looking forward to some innovation that will make me want to upgrade.

I've already got a Windows Mobile Smartphone so it's not going to be easy.

Carley really did some major damage to both Compaq and HP - primarily Compaq a company I really admired.

It's not just her fault, the board must have approved everything too. She seems to be the center of it all, but it wouldn't surprise me to see others "go" soon too.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

I really doubt we'll see this impact Pocket PCs from HP in any direct way (Unless the new CEO is Jason...). Hopefully though, he/she can get things back on track and allow real innovation in all of their product lines.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:51 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

While I certainly think Carly did an awful job running the company and deserved to be fired long ago, I doubt that she had anything to do with the recent handheld line decisions.

HP releases literally thousands of new products every year, and mobile devices are such a small part of their business, I don't think she ever even knew or cared the specifics of what they were doing with this product line.

Now, if her successor has the insight to put the right person in charge of this division we could see change, but I don't think handheld devices are what the board was thinking about when they made this decision. They are more of an example of the overall problem that we all touch and feel.