Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 01-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default WiFiTunes: Stream iTunes To Your Pocket PC

http://www.aspecto-software.com/WiF...s/WiFiTunes.htm

"This project started primarily as a proof of concept and is still very much still work in progress. This application will discover via Rendezvous any iTunes running on Macs or PCs on your local network and allow you to browse the library or playlist and then stream MP3s directly to your PDA. Example uses include connecting your PDA headphone jack into a stereo in another room in your house (I have mine streaming music to the bathroom). Major things that need done are AAC support (at the moment it uses the fmodce library so see here for the file formats supported). I'll contact the fmod folks and see if they are planning on adding AAC support. I've set it so it doesn't bother displaying any m4p or m4a files. "

Very cool stuff! I only use AAC in my iTunes setup, so it's not useful to me just yet, but if another family member stole your iPod for the day and you're working around the house, a solution like this could be handy.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:24 PM
jngold_me
Thinker

Don't count it to have any future support for protected AAC file (ie. songs purchased directly from iTunes). I have the same issue with streaming protected ACC from iTunes to my RokuLabs Soundbridge connected to my stereo.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngold_me
Don't count it to have any future support for protected AAC file (ie. songs purchased directly from iTunes).
Of course not, but unprotected AAC could be a possibility. There also exist tools to *cough*convert*cough* one to the other, although in my case 99% of my music is ripped from CDs into unprotected AAC in the first place.

--janak

Old 01-29-2005, 12:50 AM
IanT
Pupil

Agreed, newish Mac owner, own iPod but most of my stuff is MP3 ripped CD's. I will buy my music whereever I get the best price.

This sounds like a great piece of software as I head towards my second airport express (with remote control).

IanT

Old 01-29-2005, 12:54 AM
mikecel79
Neophyte

This program rocks! I noticed a few bugs with it playing songs but it shows promise. A few things I would like to see are play/stop buttons in addition to skip. Also let it support landscape mode too.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:50 AM
Howard2k
Ponderer

Fantastic potential - if it supported AAC.

Old 01-29-2005, 04:59 AM
jngold_me
Thinker

Aside from just the "cool, I can do this" factor, why would anyone want to do this - especially if you are home?

Old 01-29-2005, 06:50 AM
mikecel79
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngold_me
Aside from just the "cool, I can do this" factor, why would anyone want to do this - especially if you are home?
My PC is in my room and my home stereo resides in my living room. I can take my Axim and stick it in a cradle and stream music to my home stereo. Also it allows my to use my pocket PC as a mobile music device around my home.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:15 AM
tmenendez
Neophyte
Default WiFi Tunes

Um.. OK ... sounds good. So why when I try to download the CAB to my IPAQ do I just get a screen full of garbled text?

Old 01-29-2005, 04:58 PM
mikecel79
Neophyte
Default Re: WiFi Tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmenendez
Um.. OK ... sounds good. So why when I try to download the CAB to my IPAQ do I just get a screen full of garbled text?
It has to do with their site and the way it's sending CAB files down. Just right click and go to Save As. One of the developers on their forums said they are trying to fix this.