Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-25-2005, 10:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Thousands Leave Laptops, Mobiles In Taxis

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/...reut/index.html

"An estimated 11,300 laptop computers, 31,400 handheld computers and 200,000 mobile telephones were left in taxis around the world during the last six months, a survey found on Monday. Taxi drivers in nine cities also said they had found a range of other items left by passengers, including a harp, 37 milk bottles, dentures and artificial limbs. One driver said he even found a baby in his taxi."

I actually left my PDA (an ancient Palm III) in a train once, but believe it or not, Lost and Found had it. 8O I'd freak out if I left my Smartphone or a Pocket PC in a taxi, though. Have you ever lost one there (or, for that matter, found one?)

Old 01-25-2005, 10:08 PM
PJE
Thinker

Yes... But how many Palm devices were left there on purpose... :wink:

Old 01-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJE
Yes... But how many Palm devices were left there on purpose... :wink:
:P In my case, it was before Pocket PCs, so I have an excuse for actually wanting to go back and get it... :lol:

--janak

Old 01-25-2005, 10:56 PM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I actually found one of the original iPaqs in the back of a taxi once. It was way back when it was the only iPaq. It was broken and did the screen-flip thing, but otherwise it worked. What are the odds that AT THAT TIME, the person who found the iPaq would be someone who had the equipment to charge it!

The taxi driver probably would have kept it for himself if I pointed it out, and there was no user info filled in (that's just asking for it), so I ended up selling it for parts...

Besides, in the split second that I saw it sitting there on the taxi seat as I was getting out, there was no way for me to be sure it wasn't MY iPaq that was sitting there on the seat...

peterawest
Intellectual

My wife left her iPAQ at the local Target after removing it from her purse so she could reach something beneath it.

I'm happy to report that an employee found it, turned it on, saw the owner information and called my home to report it had been found. Before my wife got home, I already knew it had been found. They even stayed open late so that I could rush back and pick it up. Naturally, I wrote a very nice letter to Target and made sure that I mentioned the employee by name.

ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: Thousands Leave Laptops, Mobiles In Taxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
I actually left my PDA (an ancient Palm III) in a train once, but believe it or not, Lost and Found had it. 8O I'd freak out if I left my Smartphone or a Pocket PC in a taxi, though. Have you ever lost one there (or, for that matter, found one?)
Nah. I now do "The Pat"* out of force of habit.

*Unrelated to "The Logsdon"

Old 01-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Deemo
Intellectual

If it wasn't for me driving a taxi.....I would have never been introduced to PPC and PPC Thoughts and this wonderful group of people :devilboy:

Old 01-25-2005, 11:13 PM
Narny
Neophyte
Default Re: Thousands Leave Laptops, Mobiles In Taxis

Quote:
Have you ever lost one there (or, for that matter, found one?)
No, but a friend of mine told me this amusing tale. He was sitting on the [ahem] white porcelain seat in a cubicle in a train station, whiling away the minutes by reading his Pocket PC. He put it on the floor to pull his trousers up and a hand whizzed under the door and snatched it away, never to be seen again. Consider yourselves warned!

Old 01-25-2005, 11:42 PM
dean_shan
Mystic

I'm wondering how someone could forget their laptop in a Taxi? It's not exactly something small that can be easily hidden.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:45 PM
allenalb
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny
Quote:
Have you ever lost one there (or, for that matter, found one?)
No, but a friend of mine told me this amusing tale. He was sitting on the [ahem] white porcelain seat in a cubicle in a train station, whiling away the minutes by reading his Pocket PC. He put it on the floor to pull his trousers up and a hand whizzed under the door and snatched it away, never to be seen again. Consider yourselves warned!

ewwww. if my pda touched a public bathroom floor, i would welcome someone stealing it.

well, not really. but i would certainly have to scrub it down for awhile. my cellphone fell in a toilet once and i could never look at it the same way again.

on a completely unrelated note, but not important enough to post a separate thread:

my cat bit my x50v last night. the silver part is made of INCREDIBLY soft plastic as it turns out. his mouth was only about 4 cm too small to reach the screen luckily (already have one dead pixel, a chewmark would certainly not help).