Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-13-2005, 08:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default What's the Buzz? A Fancy Tri-Band Phone - That's What!

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/...index.php?p=am1

We saw the weird and wonderful at CES this year, but not much in the realm of Pocket PCs. However, Amoi were ambitiously showing off their new G6301 - a tri-band GSM Pocket PC phone with an Intel Bulverde 300MHz processor, QVGA touchscreen, Bluetooth, a 1.3MP camera, USB On-The-Go, and an OLED outer display. Last but not least, a TransFlash slot! You may notice that it has a clamshell design that may appeal to some.

I'm not sure why they're not using Windows Mobile screenshots though. But what's the verdict? Will this unit take off, and stop the Motorola MPx in its tracks? Let us know your thoughts!

Old 01-13-2005, 08:30 AM
surur
Mystic

Ive never heard of Amoi. Dont they make a noodle sauce?

Seriously though, nice device, and not too thick, but no mention of wifi or bluetooth. And if it comes to the market only in a years time 300Mhz is going to look awfully slow. It does look like a nice fashion phone though, like I imagine a female executive would use to keep her filofax.

Surur

Old 01-13-2005, 09:27 AM
wouterk
Pupil

Hi Surur, there is bluetooth
Looks nice. Maybe slow but my MDA II is 400Mhz and I never find it slow. So maybe 300Mhz is not that bad.
Wouter

Old 01-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Phoenix
Sage

Specs aren't bad, although they could be better for this type of device.

But I don't care for the looks of the device at all. To me it looks very unfinished - more like a prototype with unclean lines and conflicting colors and shades. The looks don't flow nicely to me.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:42 AM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K

It looks like another 2.8" screen on that phone.
I feel like the walls are closing in for those of us who want to stick with 3.5" displays for our Pocket PC Phones.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:23 PM
popabawa
Intellectual

I'd love to know exactly how they are going to get 'Gran Tourismo 3' to run on that thing! :lol:

Seriously though, how can we take the product seriously when they don't use realistic shots of the software?

Iain.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

So Amoi, a small Korean outfit shows this off, and Motorola touts the MPX at the MS booth.

Anyone else think that the big Motorola just got smacked by a very small Korean outfit? :-)

Old 01-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Prevost
Thinker

Too fancy to my taste.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:16 PM
WyattEarp
Sage

It seems okay but for the WM critics, it should have a faster processor considering its current laptopish design. Looks more like a competitor to Nokia's Communicator Seires of phones than the MPx.

Old 01-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Paundskumm
Pupil

Quote:
So Amoi, a small Korean outfit shows this off, and Motorola touts the MPX at the MS booth.
That would be the small CHINESE outfit... Actually, its a listed company in China and the full name would be Amoisonic (recently changed to Amoi to make it simple). They even have an English website here:

http://www.amoisonic.com/English/html/

They, along with Ningbo Bird and TCL and a few others are big Chinese cell phone manufacturers but they rarely sell outside of China in the past.

And the noodle sauce guys are Amoy (not Amoi) but you're getting the right idea. They both originate from a city called Xiamen in Fujian province. In the old days, in the local Hokkien dialect, Xiamen was called Amoy. Just like Canton got changed to Guangzhou and Peking to Beijing.

Hey, not everything that you don't know is Korean guys...