Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 01-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Voice Command 1.5 Released

http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/...5&productType=2

"Voice Command transforms your Pocket PC into your own virtual personal assistant, letting you use your voice to look up contacts and place phone calls, get calendar information, play and control your music, and get key device status and information. Voice Command makes it easier and more convenient than ever to take your digital lifestyle with you wherever you go. The state-of-the-art speech technology means you will never have to pre-record important phone numbers or use difficult commands to access the information you need. Simply select one of the many commands that is most natural to you and let Voice Command do the rest."

Microsoft Voice Command 1.5 has finally been released. All versions of Windows Mobile 2003 are fully supported. Users of Version 1.0 may upgrade to Version 1.5 by following the instructions specified at your place of purchase, otherwise non-existing users may download a trial version or purchase the full version at Handango. Being a U.S. English version, it is still only available to residents of the United States and Canada. [Affiliate]

List of updates include:
� Added disambiguation among identical and homophonic contact records.
� Added status features to access battery level, signal strength, time, date, ringer volume, and low battery warnings.
� Added spoken caller ID feature that speaks the name or number of the calling party.
� Tuned microphone behavior for several devices, including variations of the XDA II and XDA III.
� Added support for Windows Media Player 10 found in Ozone AKU2 and later.
� Improved support for yellow page style contacts.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Darius Wey

I have just updated the post with a list of changes that have been made since v1.01. Of particular interest is full support for Windows Media Player 10 Mobile, Pocket PC status voice commands, and Caller ID features, among others.

In addition, Version 1.5 is future-proofed and is compatible with Windows Mobile 2005.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:45 PM
freitasm
Oracle

tsk, tsk...

Still, no e-mail reader? No voice activated e-mail reply? It's a very good application (I have it in my Phone Edition), but I also have Fonix Voice Control. It's very nice to do a demo of multimodal voice mail/e-mail unified inbox and simply say "Read Inbox". "Reply" "Forward", "Delete" and other e-mail commands.

I'd expect this to be a new Voice Command version... :roll:

Old 01-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitasm
Still, no e-mail reader? No voice activated e-mail reply?
Yeah... It's a good application, and this new update adds a few extra features, but it still has its limitations. So far, I'm seeing more benefits for PPCPE users than anyone else, but there is still certainly room for improvement if it really wants to be the perfect voice-recognition application for mobile devices.

Old 01-06-2005, 01:05 PM
marcm
Intellectual

Yeah, It'll be nice when we can just talk and it types, just like Windows XP. Unfortunately even Windows XP makes mistakes, a LOT of mistakes. It's almost funny to see what it types sometimes... Anyways, it's good to see that Microsoft is updating it, and that since it is confirmed to be compatible with WM2005, we know it must be coming soon! :wink:

Old 01-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Pupil

When I use 1.1 and dial out, It'll be like call Michael Thompson at work, correct? and I'll say yes, but it won't pick it up and I'll have to say yes again. Does this versoin fix this? Also does anyone else have this problem? I'm using an sx66 (pda2k clone)

That fonix software is intriguing. is it possible to use voice command for dialing as I do, but fonix software for all the other stuff? How does it compare to voice command in terms of dialing?

Old 01-06-2005, 02:03 PM
welmoed
Intellectual

Question: Can I use this software to control my GPS software? It would be great if I could make Mapopolis voice-activated. I could say "tools -- GPS -- start -- OK" to start up the GPS while I'm driving without having to take my hands off the wheel. Or "Tools -- navigation -- find route --" etc and have it do all the entering and such.

Is this possible (currently)?

--Welmoed

Old 01-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by welmoed
Question: Can I use this software to control my GPS software? It would be great if I could make Mapopolis voice-activated. I could say "tools -- GPS -- start -- OK" to start up the GPS while I'm driving without having to take my hands off the wheel. Or "Tools -- navigation -- find route --" etc and have it do all the entering and such. Is this possible (currently)?
The closest you'll get to this is <Start>-<"Application Name"> to open the relevant application, or <Show "Contact Name"> and doing the rest by hand. The current limitations of the existing version of Voice Command is that it's all set around an unmodifiable architectural interface. That is, you can't "add" extra commands for it to recognise. You can only use the commands that have been preset within the application. The configurable options available are limited at best.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Russ
Ponderer
Default MS Voice Commander Not available in UK

Thanks Microsoft, nice to see the 'special relationship', (laugh I nearly fell off my chair,) between the UK and US is soooo special you decided to not let us have a version of Voice Commander!

Another really nice touch is that you let us limeys download the trial version and then decide not let us buy it! What gives??? We invented the bl**dy language...is our money not good enough. Will there ever be a version for the UK?

I'm pi**ed off

Irony, akin to plasticky

Old 01-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
The current limitations of the existing version of Voice Command is that it's all set around an unmodifiable architectural interface. That is, you can't "add" extra commands for it to recognise. You can only use the commands that have been preset within the application. The configurable options available are limited at best.
Hey Darius,

While that may be true from the end user perspective, it is my understanding that all the handles and whatever else is needed in developer talk is there for third party apps to take advantage of in their own software. If that is true and I'm not mistaken, I'm quite surprised no one has taken advantage of it. As welmoed has mentioned it would be an excelent combo for GPS software.

Dave