Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 12-31-2004, 04:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Tom's Hardware Reviews the Dell Axim X50v

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/...1231/index.html

"So just who is the Axim X50v aimed at? Well, just about everyone - consumers and businesspeople alike - who want to buy a fully loaded, relatively reasonably priced PDA with VGA display right now."

Have an X50v and want to marvel at its beauty? Or are you in search of a new Pocket PC? Whatever situation you're in at the moment, it's worth heading over to Tom's Hardware and checking out their latest review on the Dell Axim X50v. They usually offer a different perspective when analysing PDAs, but I'd have to agree with a couple of the points they make. It's a recognised fact that the graphics accelerator still has to show its full potential - that's something I'm hoping will be unveiled in months to come. Anyway, what are your thoughts? For those of you who own an X50v, are you happy with your device?

Old 12-31-2004, 04:30 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

"Compared with the competition, however, the Axim X50v is nonetheless a good choice, as Asus' VGA PDA with integrated Bluetooth and WLAN functionality, the Mypal A730W, currently sells for $600. Sure, that device also features an integrated 1.2 megapixel digital camera, but it also has far worse battery life."

Is that true? Tom's hasn't reviewed the final A730 / A730w at all, and, much as the A730(w) indeed has subpar battery life, I wouldn't think it's THAT bad. Actually, people over pocketmatrix.com ( http://pocketmatrix.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=11 ) have reported that a half-hour Wi-Fi session "only" reduced their battery life with 30%. (That's still very high, compared to hx4700 / PL720, but not worse than x50v's result.)

After all, the 95 minutes ( http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/2...s/image007.gif ) of the x50v aviability isn't very good either.

BTW, it's interesting to see how much power consumption the BT unit has. Switching the BT on on the iPAQ 2210 (in discoverable mode!) doesn't decrease its battery life much (let's say with 15-20% at most). The x50v seems to have a much more power-hungry BT unit.

Old 12-31-2004, 05:02 PM
PPCRules
Thinker
Default Re: Tom's Hardware Reviews the Dell Axim X50v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
... For those of you who own an X50v, are you happy with your device?
Exactly the question I had wanted to pose. I had been planning to get the non-VGA X50, but with the recent deep discounts available I was thinking of treating myself the the "v". I had read all the reviews when it first came out, but was thinking reports from real people with real life uses over the past several months would be very helpful. So weigh in, please!

Old 12-31-2004, 05:14 PM
fgarcia10
Intellectual

Hi, I'm a happy owner of a X50v, and the device is great, I love it. It is my best pocket pc yet. HP525, hp540, hp565, Hitachi G1000, X30h.

Old 12-31-2004, 05:14 PM
24va
Intellectual

I have owned a lot of PPC's (HP320; HP360; HP660; HP548; Toshiba e310; HP3975; HP2215; Axim x30H; HP1910) and I think that my x50v is the BEST one I have owned to date.

This may be a mistake though:

'USB yes (Host/Client) '

I don't think it can host
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 1Cor 1:18 In hand:*Axim x50v; 2gb SD; 4gb CF;*LG 325 Contributing Editor - pocketnow.com

Old 12-31-2004, 05:33 PM
Kurt Hunciker
Pupil

I am delighted with my X50v. Once you begin using a VGA screen, you will never go back to a QVGA screen. The difference in quality of the text in ebooks and of photographs is amazing.

Now if only Microsoft would have let me activate MS Reader for this device, rather than having decided, "No more activations for you!":evil:

Oops. I wrote the second paragraph prematurely. I tried to activate my device this afternoon again after having being denied activation for several weeks, and it activated! I guess Microsoft is responsive to requests for more activations -- it just takes time.

Old 12-31-2004, 05:35 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24va
This may be a mistake though:

'USB yes (Host/Client) '

I don't think it can host
Yeah, it doesn't have USB host.

Old 12-31-2004, 05:46 PM
silver99
Ponderer

I too can vouch for the X50v. I've had several PPCs and this is by far the best. The screen is incredible.

I use mine for:
- GPS (Dell Bluetooth)
- watching movies (off SD/CF cards and streaming over wireless network)
- Music
- e-books
- and much, much more

I'm not a big gamer although there's been reports of good gaming on this machine. I usually save the gaming to XBOX or Gameboy DS.

Old 12-31-2004, 06:16 PM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

I like my X50v. If Dell could have somehow fianagled NEVO away from HP it would be perfect. So yeah, I'm happy! :mrgreen:

Old 12-31-2004, 06:17 PM
tourdewolf
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to tourdewolf

I too have owned many PPC (1910, Maestro, 4150, 4355, E70, X5, X3) as well as many palms, (original, 5000, m100, v, vx, m500, m505, t2, t3, zire 71, zire 72).

Currently own an x50v for about 1 month. IMO: Screen is beautiful, however response is incredibly slow. Movies look great but standard battery barely last to finish one. Streams video (avis compressed w/ pocketdivixencoder) over the wifi well enough but again battery drains twice as fast so can only get about 45 mins.
The battery really needs help, I have 2 regular batteries and it is still a pain. Fortunately the cradle allows on to be charged separate from the unit.
Processor is really fast when max is enabled, really sluggish when on auto.
Wifi interface is much smoother however range is much less than the 4350 I had, often when switching to another network (different location) it requires a soft reset to connect.

Ergonomically the unit is great except for every time I lift it out of the cradle I press the record button. Button lock is a great feature however. Although when the unit wakes for an alarm it stays on until I attend to it. Many times I have had the battery drain because an alarm went off in my briefcase and wifi was on from a previous session, so the unit just sat there w/ wifi enabled and the screen on (even after the alarm had cycled). Need a way to have the unit go back to sleep after an alarm (I have the screen set to turn off in 1 min when on batt power)

Overall,

Pros:

Screen
Form factor
Dual slots
Appearance
Button lock

Cons

BATTERY - warning purchase the extended battery
WiFi range
Alarm quirks - this could be an OS issue not specific to axim?
Sluggish response - Most programs can't use the graphics horsepower - yet.