Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Crazy Technology Predictions for 2005?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,175...,1745953,00.asp

"I know. I once said I'd never make tech predictions, but what follows are not exactly prognostications. Instead, I'd like to think they're statements of possibilities, those that range from the somewhat plausible to the decidedly fantastic. Read them all with a grain of salt, but when they come true, please remember who told them to you in the first place."

I don't agree with a lot of his predictions, but I'm curious what your crazy technology predictions are for next year. Here's your chance to be a pundit! It can be about PDAs or technology in general... hit the Discuss link and let us know what you think.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:42 PM
surur
Mystic

Clearly the craziest PDA prediction ever would be the release of slim, modular, upgradable pocketpc's with the release of the OS directly downloadable from Microsoft.

But no, thats dreaming. Something like that is just waaayyy beyond our current technology.

Surur

PS: Where's the sarcasm smilie?

Old 12-29-2004, 04:44 PM
benyeap
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to benyeap Send a message via MSN to benyeap Send a message via Yahoo to benyeap

Hoping PPC to be the first platform to deploy WiMAX!

Old 12-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Yo Boss
Pupil

I hope he is right about multi-megapixel phones. I still struggle to explain to friends and relatives that you can have a 200Gigapixels camera, if the lens is crap, you are going to have a (very detailed) crap picture. :roll:
In photography, optics are everything. And everything else being equal, the bigger the better...

Old 12-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

WiMAX? Flexible and/or OLED and/or foldable screens? Breaking the 1GHz barrier?

Old 12-29-2004, 04:52 PM
NetGeek
Neophyte
Send a message via MSN to NetGeek
Default Here we go!

This is the year that "wearable" computers go to the next level and become implants. No more fumbling with styluses and keypads, you merely have to think your commands and they work.

Might have been a bit too much NOG in my egg nog...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all!

Old 12-29-2004, 04:55 PM
benyeap
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to benyeap Send a message via MSN to benyeap Send a message via Yahoo to benyeap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys
WiMAX? Flexible and/or OLED and/or foldable screens? Breaking the 1GHz barrier?
Frankly I would really like to see a PPC with 18-bit color depth TFD VGA resolution touch screen in early 2005. Btw, the 1GB processor barrier will be achieved in no time (but I doubt it would be in 2005) since Samsung already have plan for the 667 MHz processor. Besides, I really had been wondering when will the PPC got at least 256MB of RAM (for god sake, it is almost 2005 already)?? And having a 1GB ROM in a PPC should NOT be a problem at all since flash memories were dirt cheap nowadays.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:57 PM
surur
Mystic
Default Re: Here we go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetGeek
This is the year that "wearable" computers go to the next level and become implants. No more fumbling with styluses.
You will still need a stylus to soft-reset. And I can imagine the contortions you will have to go though to hard-reset. Just insert the stylus in the bottom hole, and press the "action button " vigerously at the same time :lol: :devilboy: :lol:

Surur

Old 12-29-2004, 05:21 PM
arnage2
Oracle

im thinking:

for ppcs: wimax or wireless G. 800mhz processors. defidently integrated harddrives. upto 32mb of video ram. vga on a sub $350 device. a square screen ppc phone edition. a whole new os (wm2005) that would change ppcs like how the switch from 98 to xp changed pcs. and i see a lack of cameras on non phone edt ppcs.

for palms: this year is do or die for non phone handhelds. palm os has to rely on palmone and tapwave to make some killer handhelds. comparable specs to the highest end ppcs are needed, as well as the first palm os 6 cobalt device.

Old 12-29-2004, 05:33 PM
HTK
Intellectual

I predict nothing ground-breaking will be released in the year of 2005.