Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default Real Forms-Based Databasing

Recently in a Thoughts discussion thread, a couple of readers mentioned a nifty little forms-based database system from Grandasoft, called XSDesigner and XSForms. Since finding an easy-to-use database system has been a bit of a holy grail for me, I decided to take a look at their newest release, v. 1.50.

The Grandasoft system is comprised of two parts: XSDesigner is a desktop PC tool for designing data collection forms, and XSForms is the Pocket PC application for using the forms to collect data and perform queries.

The list of features and functions is long, but the most important ones are:

� Very easy to use (no programming skills required)
� Quick transfer of forms to Pocket PC
� WYSIWYG view for easy layout
� Data export in XML (MS Access compatible), CSV and HTML
� Data import from XML, CSV and TXT
� Data transmission via HTTP, FTP or email possible
� Data storage in Pocket-Access database (CDB file)
� Wide selection of field types

The most amazing thing about this cool setup is that both XSDesigner and XSForms are absolutely FREE for private use! And easy!?!? Within ten minutes of starting to use XSDesigner I had a workable draft created. Within 45 minutes, I had a clean, honed, multi-page form all ready to use (and I am most definitely NOT a programmer). Grandasoft even has an online community for sharing the forms/databases that users create. If you have any need for a Pocket PC-based data collection system, you have GOT to give XSDesigner and XSForms a try!

You can download and register both XSDesigner and XSForms from the Grandasoft Web site.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:59 PM
cyclwestks
Ponderer

I'd checked this out when it was new. Went back after your post, & it's amazing how much their forms gallery has grown.

Old 12-15-2004, 04:11 AM
Qeber
Neophyte
Default Cool Pocket PC Form Designer Application

http://www.mobilemind.com.tw/demo/demo.htm

Old 12-15-2004, 04:32 AM
dazz
Theorist

I haven't had a chance to dig into this one yet. Can you build relational databases with it?

Old 01-03-2005, 12:45 AM
Jreis
Neophyte
Default re:

Does anyone know a good tutorial how I can create a pdf form that will work on my pocketpc? I tried making a form in Adobe6.0 then when I open it in my pocketpc adobe reader it does not see it as a form with text boxes and check boxes. Although if I open the same form in my desktop computers adobe reader program it sees and lets me type in the text boxes etc.

and help please thanks

Old 01-03-2005, 05:44 AM
dazz
Theorist

I could be wrong but I don't think there is such an animal. You would probably be better off with a database and forms program. Most people here will know that I prefer HanDBase, mainly because I used to work for DDH Software (am still doing contract work as well ).

There are others out there as well but I have always been a fan of HanDBase long before going to work for them.[/url]