Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Meye - Connected Pocket PC Locator

http://service.meye.org/

"What is MEYE? With Meye on your Pocket PC you can see where your friends are (and find new ones, too).

How it works:
1.You tell Meye where you are or let it ask your GPS unit.
2.Your pocket PC tells our servers where you are.
3. Our servers tells you where your friends are and who is near."

I always find location-based meeting services to be of great interest, except for one major thing: none of them interoperate, so that the likelihood that you'll actually find someone is minimal unless you all cooperate to install the same solution on your device. Still, it's interesting and if you have a GPS and are wondering what new applications you can use it for, here's one.

Old 12-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Cybrid
Pontificator
Default Re: Meye - Connected Pocket PC Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
"What is MEYE? With Meye on your Pocket PC you can see where your friends are (and find new ones, too).

How it works:
1.You tell Meye where you are or let it ask your GPS unit.
2.Your pocket PC tells our servers where you are.
3. Our servers tells you where your friends are and who is near."

I always find location-based meeting services to be of great interest, except for one major thing: none of them interoperate, so that the likelihood that you'll actually find someone is minimal unless you all cooperate to install the same solution on your device. Still, it's interesting and if you have a GPS and are wondering what new applications you can use it for, here's one.
Ok, I'm having a hard time thinking up a use for this...If the app was somehow universal maybe some company would have a use for it in a where is that truck kind of way.......
I don't know why anyone would want to broadcast thier location in this manner except out in the bush where internet access would be limited anyway...
Also, you know what they say "routine is an assasin's best friend". D'you really want to be found 24/7 :snipersmile: