Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-12-2004, 01:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Siemens SX66 Starting To Appear On Cingular's Website

Cingular has begun selling the Siemens SX66, their branded version of the HTC Blue Angel Pocket PC Phone, in some markets. As a quick review, the Blue Angel is a quadband GSM Pocket PC Phone running WM2003SE, has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, an integrated slide-out thumbboard, and 128MB of RAM.

Unfortunately, the website is cookied, so you'll have to go to cingular.com manually and navigate from there. I also found that specifying a NYC zip code displayed the phone, while a suburb's zip code did not, so presumably it's either not yet available everywhere or it's still propagating through their database.

Old 12-12-2004, 01:10 AM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

:jawdrop:

Feh! For $550 I would expect a VGA display. Perfect timing this. I just signed up with Cingular on Thursday after freeing myself from the shackles of Verizon and its niche CDMA network. PDA Phone options like this device are the very reason why I made the switch. I want the ability to own cutting edge phones, or at least have some variety. And since handset makers target the GSM market that's where the best phones are.

Right now I'm not sure which direction of PDA phone I want to go; Treo 650, a PPCPE like this Siemenns model, or a Windows Mobile Smartphone like the Audiovox SMT5600...which I highly covet. At this point of indecision I opted for a Sony-Ericsson T637. At least it offers Bluetooth so I can connect to the web via my PDA. That should hold me over until I make the BIG switch.

Off-topic: Anyone else here using the T637 care to give me some feedback?

Old 12-12-2004, 01:24 AM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Well, I've been using the PDA2K for about a month now and I think it's a great device. Yes, I wish it had VGA, it would really make this the ultimate geek device. I also really wish it had EDGE technology, as surfing via GPRS is tiresome at best.

Verizon is offering the CDMA version of this device through business channels already, and it supports EV-DO. If that high speed wireless goodness was supported in my area I would probably give up the Phone Freedom of the GSM world for true HI-Speed wireless.

One word of caution for those drooling over this device, buy a second battery... :devilboy: You'll use it that much!!!

Old 12-12-2004, 01:43 AM
piggity
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to piggity

I was looking on the cingular site and it states "Cingular Xpress Mail Suite: Real-time access to your corporate and personal e-mail " for it. Does anyone know how this works with the PPC? Is it push, or do you need to down load every so ofter? Is it something you can install on your work PC to have the email sent (meaning it doesn't require some enterprise software to be installed where I work)?

Old 12-12-2004, 03:38 AM
bmcbride_81
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to bmcbride_81
Default EDGE Capable???

Does anyone knof if this specific Cingular Siemens SX66 is EDGE enabled? I know that the imate version is not but just curious if this one is?

Old 12-12-2004, 04:43 AM
maximum360
Ponderer
Send a message via Yahoo to maximum360

The GSM version isn't edge enabled.

IMO, this was the worst time to leave VZW if you're in an area with EvDO. Currently they offer it unlimited for $45 a month. It's possible that you can access through your minutes but that's to be determined as well. www.pdaphonehome.com has a section on there forums dedicated to the this device in all it's incarnations.

I could try and get the non-camera version right now (through B2B) but I'm going to hold off until the camera version is available. I would like to think this month but at worst, January.

Old 12-12-2004, 07:58 AM
arnage2
Oracle

looks like a very nice unit.

but its odd that we arent seeing any 240x240, 480x480 or VGA phones yet.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:29 AM
surfer
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to surfer

How much will this cost in the US without a subscription to cingular?

Old 12-12-2004, 02:23 PM
stevew
Theorist

It was on the Cingular web site for my zip code Dec 11th but this morning it's gone. :?

oops it's back again..... :roll:

Old 12-13-2004, 02:48 AM
tourdewolf
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to tourdewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
:jawdrop:

Feh! For $550 I would expect a VGA display.
Not just $550 but this price is with a 2 YEAR CONTRACT! :bad-words: :microwave: