Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 12-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default RAM Upgrade on Server Completed - 'aint it Nice?

The techs at our hosting company took the server down today to perform the RAM upgrade, and our server is doing much better with 4 GB of RAM - it's quite snappy in the middle of the day, which was historically when it was the most sluggish. This is a great step in the right direction, but now that we're out of the danger zone, taking a hard look at our code is next. In the meantime, enjoy the newfound speed on the server. :-)

Old 12-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Hmm...it looks like there are some banner ads slowing down the page loads. <sigh> :roll:

Old 12-09-2004, 10:42 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Good to hear. Can't wait to see what's next from PPCT.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:43 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Hmm...it looks like there are some banner ads slowing down the page loads. &lt;sigh> :roll:
ah. :| Not a problem here since I have ads disabled. (but don't worry, I support Thoughts by having them on at DMT and SMT. )

Old 12-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Ok, now it seems fast - I'm having some ISP problems today, so perhaps it's just me. How does it seem to everyone else?

Old 12-09-2004, 11:13 PM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
Hmm...it looks like there are some banner ads slowing down the page loads. &lt;sigh> :roll:
Perhaps your server is now so fast that it leaves the ads behind?

Anyway, good work. I know it's a pain to migrate things, upgrade boxes and other stuff like this. 8)

Old 12-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
How does it seem to everyone else?
Very snappy in the UK! It seems faster than usual. Hopefully it's not wishfull thinking.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Deus
Thinker

Aong the same subject...What is needed to run a popular site out of home instead of a hosting service? T1 line? What specs on the server?

Old 12-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
Aong the same subject...What is needed to run a popular site out of home instead of a hosting service? T1 line? What specs on the server?
That's something I'd never attempt because it would be cost-prohibitive, and you could never match the network redundancy of the big players. But that's just me. :-)

Old 12-09-2004, 11:41 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

Just feel funny. A guy who is a master of PPC and runs a lot of websites doesn't even know how to upgrade RAM by himself. :lol: