Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Customizations & Content

Old 12-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Update On Free eBooks From eReader.com

http://www.ereader.com/promo

Last week we notified you that eReader.com was giving away a free ebook a day in December. In my post I said "These are probably books that are out of copyright and normally cost a few dollars, which is the charge for formatting them. Still, this is much better than downloading raw text at Gutenberg and trying to get it into a nice ebook. "

I am quite happy to report that statement was incorrect! :way to go: Today, they are giving away a recent book called Star Trek: New Frontier: Stone and Anvil. So, head over their daily and check out their offerings. I missed the past few days, so no telling what goodies I skipped. ops:

Note to self: Set up repeating task on my Pocket PC to check out the book a day at eReader.com. :mrgreen:

Old 12-07-2004, 09:52 PM
crashdau
Ponderer

Hey Ed. Is there anyway to find out what was released on each day so you know what you missed out on?

Old 12-07-2004, 10:01 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Saturday's, Sunday's amd Monday's books

(listing only, no downloads)

Old 12-07-2004, 10:06 PM
WindWalker
Ponderer

Indeed, the book on Friday was the 9/11 Commission Report. They aren't giving away "The DaVinci Code" or anything, but they also aren't completely cheaping out either. Kudos to them.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:28 PM
jonathanchoo
Theorist

These are the ones from 3rd Dec

Star Trek: New Frontier: Stone and Anvil by Peter David

At Christmas Time by Anton Chekhov

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad

The 9/11 Commission Report: Final Report of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States by National Commission on Terrorist Attacks

Old 12-07-2004, 11:13 PM
McFLY
Neophyte
Default Must Enter a Credit Card!?

The site may be totally reputable, but I will never enter my credit card number to get something for free. It's shady. Come on guys, design your database so that you can work without it.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:25 PM
Paragon
Magi
Default Re: Must Enter a Credit Card!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFLY
The site may be totally reputable, but I will never enter my credit card number to get something for free. It's shady. Come on guys, design your database so that you can work without it.
You credit card is the method of DRM with eReader. It is very effective...just as Ed.

Since at least some of these books are still DRM protected they need to be protected and licenced to you, the person they gave them to.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:35 PM
phillypocket
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFLY
I was going to give this a look but now.... :evil:

I may be in the minority, but there is no way I'm going to enter a credit card number for a free book either. Nor would I do it for a drm scheme.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:38 PM
sfjlittel
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to sfjlittel

Too bad you need a credit card... I don't have one.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:56 PM
jonathanchoo
Theorist

Personally I think palmreader/ereader's DRM scheme is one of the best out there. It is obvious that a sort of DRM is needed for e-book distribution but its clever for the original developers of eReader (PeanutPress) not to tie down its users to devices (like MSReader).

The reason why eReader still needs to DRM'ed those 'free' e-books are so it is tied to the user who 'bought' it. They do not want people to illegally distribute it. It is free only for that day and for the people who have accounts.