Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-03-2004, 10:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Dice - Perfect When You're On a Roll!

http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/...5&productType=2

"Dice is the most flexible dice on the market because it can be a standard six sided dice or a more uncommon 4, 8, 10, 12, 20 or 100 sided dice.

I have a confession to make. I hate dice! If you roll them too hard, it falls off the table or manages to find its way under the couch. Then there's always the case when it falls on the carpet, and you don't know if you rolled a 5 or a 6, because it's sitting on an angle. In fact, now's a perfect time to use the "Roll Eyes" emoticon! :roll:

Anyway, Dice takes the hassle out of rolling. It supports a vast array of different dice, and includes a countdown timer in case you ever need it! Handango is selling the application for $4.99, and it requires the .NET Compact Framework to function properly. [Affiliate]

Old 12-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster

Hmm, here I am quietly developing my own dice rolling program in .NEt, and someone goes and releases a pretty one :? Oh, well. Mine's more intended for RPG, although it's still in the early testing phases right now.

Has anyone tried this program? How does it rate? And what would be YOUR ideal dice rolling program? I'm sure there's enough of a population here of people who use dice

Old 12-03-2004, 11:25 PM
mr_Ray
Intellectual

Looking at the demo above, there seems to be a bug in this version of the program.
No matter how many times you roll it, it always comes up with a 3.

:devilboy:

Actually, it seems to me that for this to be worth anything more than 0.00, it'd have to offer functionality such as rolling more than one die at a time, each individually configured, eg roll 2 x 6 sided dice and a 12 sided one.
At the moment, the source for this can't be much more than

GetDiceRoll
{
result = random()*numsides
print result
}

Would make a handy bit of freeware, but really - $4.99 for something that gives you a number between 1 and X? Hmmm... I think a dice rolling app has potential to be useful for many people, but this seems to fall a bit short (sorry guys!).

Old 12-03-2004, 11:35 PM
DinarSoft
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_Ray
the source for this can't be much more than

GetDiceRoll
{
print result
}

Correction.
The source should be

GetDiceRoll
{
result = 1+ random()*numsides
print result
}

cause random() returns a number between 0 and 1.

so if you don't want 0 to be a possibility you'll have to add 1

Old 12-03-2004, 11:38 PM
sualeh
Pupil
Default Heads or Tails

Here's one that can flip a coin - Heads or Tails. More reasonably priced than the dice, at $1.99. Also has themes such as guessing whether it will rain or shine, and loves me, loves me not. With sound effects.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:45 PM
yslee
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwignall
Has anyone tried this program? How does it rate? And what would be YOUR ideal dice rolling program? I'm sure there's enough of a population here of people who use dice
There were quite a few I used back then, but here's what I'd like to see:

- Roll multiple dice with modifiers
- Sum of best/worst of dice (think AD&D attribute rolls, 4D6, highest 3)
- Ability to program results based on the roll (think Battletech hit location tables)
- Able to count the dice that meets a target or criteria, and not the result on the dice itself (White Wolf's d10 system)
- A good UI is a must (too many taps before getting what I want defeats the purpose)

Nowadays though, I use a notebook with an Excel spreadsheet for my complex die rolls.

Most RPGers also prefer having their own dice for crucial rolls. Dice are never fully random, I've found, and some dice have this annoying ability to roll against you (3 natural 20s in a single turn in an AD&D session from the DM made a simple battle a really annoying one).

Old 12-04-2004, 12:15 AM
mr_Ray
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinarSoft
Quote:
the source for this can't be much more than

GetDiceRoll
{
print result
}

Correction.
The source should be

GetDiceRoll
{
result = 1+ random()*numsides
print result
}

cause random() returns a number between 0 and 1.

so if you don't want 0 to be a possibility you'll have to add 1
Your dice don't have a zero? What kind of freak are you? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Old 12-04-2004, 12:20 AM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yslee
- Ability to program results based on the roll (think Battletech hit location tables)
I'm not framiliar with what exactly that means...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yslee
Most RPGers also prefer having their own dice for crucial rolls. Dice are never fully random, I've found, and some dice have this annoying ability to roll against you (3 natural 20s in a single turn in an AD&D session from the DM made a simple battle a really annoying one).
That's putting it lightly. Most guys I know freak out if someone else touches their dice, saying it's been "contaminated". But hey, my dice hate me, so I can use my PDA

Old 12-04-2004, 12:29 AM
DinarSoft
Intellectual

Quote:
Your dice don't have a zero? What kind of freak are you? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:rotfl:

Old 12-04-2004, 12:38 AM
freitasm
Oracle

Quote:
Actually, it seems to me that for this to be worth anything more than 0.00, it'd have to offer functionality such as rolling more than one die at a time, each individually configured, eg roll 2 x 6 sided dice and a 12 sided one.
Actually it has many functions. For example there's a timer, so if the game requires a roll in "y" amount of time or move then this program will help you on this too.