Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 12-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default AIDS and PDAs: Yes, There Is a Link!

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2004/Dec/1098004.htm

"Most of the seven million Americans who upgrade to a new PDA every year simply throw their used one away or put it in a drawer not knowing what to do with it. Skyscape and SATELLIFE are creating a "Global Supply Line" that will eliminate this waste and put old handheld devices to good use--by donating them to physicians in Africa. Skyscape will equip these handheld devices with mobile medical references enabling health practitioners in the developing world to access the latest medical information while working in rural areas. This program begins December 1, 2004 (World AIDS Day)."

This is the kind of news that brings warm, fuzzy feelings to your heart, as we don't often sit down and consider how lucky we are to be able to own and even upgrade our PDAs. This is an excellent and well-planned initiative by Skyscape and SATELLIFE in my opinion, and will help improve healthcare in the African nations. Donated PDAs will be fitted with a vast array of popular medical programs to help physicians in their work.

If you would like to donate your PDA, click here for more information. Skyscape are also offering a gift to donators as a quick way of saying "thank you". Are any of you considering helping out the people in Africa?

Old 12-01-2004, 08:24 PM
jeffmd
Thinker

sounds great.. but how old is to old? I have a pilot m80 thats been collecting dust.. its not quite 3 years old but was a budget minded pda.

are there any other initiatives like these I wonder and not just limmited to just africa and aids (You cant fight aids, you can only make people aware of it. in that sense I dont see the pda being anything more then a glorified pamphlet)?

Old 12-01-2004, 08:50 PM
T-Will
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
are there any other initiatives like these I wonder and not just limmited to just africa and aids (You cant fight aids, you can only make people aware of it. in that sense I dont see the pda being anything more then a glorified pamphlet)?
Same thing I was thinking... :|

Old 12-01-2004, 09:23 PM
bcries
Pupil

Quote:
(You cant fight aids, you can only make people aware of it. in that sense I dont see the pda being anything more then a glorified pamphlet)?
I strongly disagree. It would seem that there are many useful and powerful drugs that can slow the progression of AIDS and treat its effects; one would hope that a PDA full of detailed information about these drugs would be helpful, since they are often prescribed in combination dosages. These drugs are slowly becoming available in Africa as big drug companies are finally agreeing to sell them "at cost".

Certainly awareness is important as well... but it sounds like the PDAs will be used mainly for medical lookup purposes.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:22 PM
capo
Ponderer
Default good idea!

The church I belong to supports several medical outreaches in places like Mexico, Belize, the Dominican, Haiti, etc. This story got me wondering if they might have use for my "last year's model" iPaq 3835 so I emailed to inquire. Thanks for the idea!

Old 12-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

A worthy goal but I won't sabotage their efforts by sending them my Palm Sized PC E-11. :wink: :lol:

Old 12-02-2004, 12:10 AM
dorelse
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Will
Quote:
Same thing I was thinking... :|
Are you guys sure you're reading this right?

The goal is to get up to date medical reference information in an easily accessible tool that Doctors can reference and use to prescribe the best treatment options to their patients.

How a pda, with updated medical & prescription informaiton, in a Doctors hands, is a glorifed pamphlet to a physician escapes me. Its a critical weapon for an illness impacting millions on that continent.

I'm also not sure where the world would be today if people had said "you can't fight smallpox, only make people aware of it", (or Polio, or any number of now minor (or otherwise defeated) illnesses once thought terminal.

Jonathan1 - Hmm...don't think they'd use my Newton 130 either...Ah another MN boy...cool..good to see yah..

Old 12-02-2004, 04:01 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcries
I strongly disagree. It would seem that there are many useful and powerful drugs that can slow the progression of AIDS and treat its effects; one would hope that a PDA full of detailed information about these drugs would be helpful, since they are often prescribed in combination dosages. These drugs are slowly becoming available in Africa as big drug companies are finally agreeing to sell them "at cost".

Certainly awareness is important as well... but it sounds like the PDAs will be used mainly for medical lookup purposes.
Well said. I can happily say that having a host of medical programs on my Pocket PC definitely helps me in my work. So this initiative taken by Skyscape and SATELLIFE will definitely be of benefit to physicians practicing in Africa. While AIDS is not yet curable, it can certainly be cared for and any information that one can have in the palm of their hand is certainly an asset to say the least.

Old 12-02-2004, 04:21 AM
sylvangale
Intellectual

I see this is as a company whose goal is to sell PDA software to health care professionals and is using a donation ploy to get kind hearted people to supply their future clients in a difficult country to market tech products.

Scyscape's homepage http://www.skyscape.com/

That aside here's an interesting article on Aids in Africa and how HIV tests are held to less scrutiny than in other countries (like being dignosed as HIV+ merely by symptoms of malnutrition and not by an HIV test).
http://www.aliveandwell.org/html/afr...rspective.html

Old 12-02-2004, 06:35 AM
wigglesworth
Ponderer

Quote:
see this is as a company whose goal is to sell PDA software to health care professionals and is using a donation ploy to get kind hearted people to supply their future clients in a difficult country to market tech products
Their is no logic to this thinking, according to their website they will equip the donated handheld with software and I also get a free software title plus a 20% off coupon for a later purchase as well.
Quote:
Skyscape will equip these handheld devices with mobile medical references enabling health practitioners in the developing world to access to the latest medical information while working in rural areas
After that you are not obligated to purchase their software you could use someone elses it's your choice. this is a company that is creating good PR for themselves, helping doctors in another country, and is allowing me to make a change in an improvished nation.
I'd like to know what's so wrong with that? I'm glad to see that someone is willing to do something.

Just a short note on the "cost" of prescriptions
Quote:
These drugs are slowly becoming available in Africa as big drug companies are finally agreeing to sell them "at cost
I used to work for a pharmacy chain in Canada and one of our benefits was we got to purchase prescriptions for the cost the company payes for them. A fellow staff member needed a prescription that would have cost you 86.90, she only paid 6.10 for it! I was also privy to goverment and insurance checks coming in to pay for drugs. Every 1-2 weeks we would recieve 5-7 checks ranging from $15,000-$35,000 each.