Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-14-2004, 08:05 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default When Did You Convert To Pocket PC?

Over the past few days, we have posted several articles on pa1mOne and PalmSource relating to declining market share and the possibility of pa1mOne using alternative operating systems and the status of their next OS, Cobalt. In those threads and in similar threads on other sites, I've seen comments like "Until about three weeks ago I was a Palm user and have been since the very first Palm Pilot came out. When they put out the Tungsten T5 with no wifi and still on OS5, etc, that was the last straw for me" from new users like shb.

First of all, to all the new users that have either switched to Pocket PC or are here looking for more information that are considering a switch or simply wanting to get more info before taking the plunge into the world of ultra-mobile computing, welcome! :mrgreen:

Second, we'd like to know when you made the switch and the circumstances surrounding it.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:31 PM
jmbneaf
Ponderer

It all started with a Palm III way back when. Then I moved to the dual slotted Handera 330 that had a ton of features and was criticized for being to much (ha! ).

In early 2002, I switched to a Pocket PC after a friend showed me the real advantage of Pocket PC's (Multi tasking, color screens and such). Sadly I got a Toshiba e740 (again dual slots), WiFi - even more power.

I then moved to a Toshiba e755 - after realizing that Toshiba wasn't going to support legacy devices, I tried a Sigmarion III (more for work). While very cool and very powerful, the Sig III wasn't as portable as a PPC so I went back to a HP iPaq h2215. I used it for 2 months and then sold to to the very same friend who got me into PPC's.

I now have dual slots again with dual wireless (BT and WiFi) and VGA with my hx4700 - add a BT Phone and keyboard and I'm in portable heaven.

I have since converted a couple of other Palm users and even a manager above me to Pocket PC's (the manager is also using a hx4705).
I looked really long and hard at a tablet pc or even the new micro PC's Sony and OQO and couldn't justify the extra cost for what I use my PPC for daily.

Long live the Pocket PC!!

Thats my story...... -JB

Old 11-14-2004, 09:30 PM
orol
Ponderer

I was once a hard core palm os user. actually It begun with palm but then I realized palm wasn't the one who was pushing the envelop .. so I had trg pro with CF & wifi CF & palm portable keyboard .. then sony clie sj30 with 320x320 screen and size of less then original palm V. I had some other sony PDAs after then until I had UX50 which lasted so long in my hands .. well until I switched to smartphones and sold UX50 .. still the best design in my eyes, small, powerfull with great stamina (16 hours of mp3! or 35 with an extra batter attached! )

but I have to admint PPC went a long way and now WM2003SE is really great system

Old 11-14-2004, 09:36 PM
Rob Borek
Intellectual

I'm so old skool, I remember Ed's odyssey to find an iPAQ (the original iPAQ)!

Old 11-14-2004, 09:43 PM
KTamas
Thinker

I originally wanted an Motorola Accomply 008, but i had a choice to buy my Father's boss'es iPaq 3670 this year march - and i bought the 3670
Then i got an extra job, sold the ipaq and bought an Asus MyPal a620.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:45 PM
johncruise
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to johncruise

early adopter too :-) Began with a grayscale Casio E-11.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:48 PM
bjornkeizers
Sage

My PDA addiction started with the Palm Pilot Pro, many years ago. Then one day, I saw a review in a magazine about the Philips Nino; a CE device. I finally got my hands on a second hand one two years later and really loved it. It was a lot more flexible then my Palm.

So, when the first true Pocket PC arrived on the scene, I ran out and bought one. An Ipaq 3630. It was over a 1.000 guilders at the time - the same as a mid-range desktop! I also got the CF jacket and CF card, which seems silly by today's standards. I sold it in 2001 when the battery died and upgraded to a Jornada 565... after that, I got my 1915 which I still have to this day.

My next device will certainly be a PPC!

Old 11-14-2004, 09:51 PM
SHC
Intellectual

Started with a Psion Organizer II CM, then a Sharp something or other, first Windows CE device was a Philips Nino. Had one brief excursion to the dark side (Sony Clie NX73V), now got a 4700.

Old 11-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Mike Dimmick
Pupil

Technically I never switched - my first PDA was an HP Jornada 525 I won in a competition. Friends had had Palms though. A friend of mine switched from a Handspring Visor to an iPAQ 5450 last year - expandability was important to him, and modern Palms suck in that area.

Old 11-14-2004, 10:14 PM
dbman
Ponderer

I switched from Palm when the Dell Axim was released. I had a Tungsten T1 and when I saw what I could buy from Dell for $300, I returned the T1 and never looked back.