Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Building An Ultraportable Desktop

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkonthe...ete_deskto.html

"I have previously written how I incorporate the diminutive Sony U-70 into my daily workflow and I am still convinced it is the best computer for me. The news that Sony is going to bring an updated version of the U-70 to the US market is welcome and means we will likely see a lot more of the little workhorses in the near future...I did a lot of research on what was available that might fit my needs and settled on the Billionton Bluetooth (CF) card, the Stowaway Bluetooth Keyboard and the Bluetake BT500 portable Bluetooth mouse. These three components take up almost no room in my bag yet provide a completely functioning desktop, all without wires or hassles. This also gives me the opportunity to use the Motorola v710 Bluetooth phone for high speed connectivity when WiFi is not available."

James Kendrick has assembled a truly drool-worthy setup with his U70 Mini-PC, and has written up a very nice review of it. At first, I started thinking how I could start saving up money for a similar arrangement, but then it occurred to me that I might as well do it with my Toshiba e805, a CF BT card for it, and the Think Outside BT mouse and keyboard. Throw TextMaker in, and I've got a complete wordprocessing solution! The e805 can handle landscape as well, so that's not too bad. The only thing is, I couldn't do Java development using Eclipse or C++/C# development with Visual Studio .NET... anyway, do any of you have a similar setup using your Pocket PC?

Old 11-12-2004, 04:32 PM
aliensub
Pupil

I couldn�t imagine using VS.net on such a little screen, I�m getting annoyed when using it on my notebook which is 15.1" and 1280x800....

But for a texteditor setup it could do.

But then again with this stuff you need a bag, so maybe you would be better of with a subnotebook or something similar. With this setup you could also have a 3G pcmcia card in it and have a mobile 384k/b connection. That one would be nice And would be appr. the same price as the other

Old 11-12-2004, 04:43 PM
serpico
Intellectual

I agree, a sub-notebook would be a better solution. Not sure if battery drain would be the same since running all those bluetooth devices would certainly drain a PPC battery. But it is very cool to look at ... going to go and read the article now.

Old 11-12-2004, 05:14 PM
lapchinj
Thinker

definitely a very cool setup 8)

Jeff-

Old 11-12-2004, 05:28 PM
drrichard
Pupil
Default Internet Connect with Motorola 710?????

I note you say you connect your U-70 with the internet via the 710 bluetooth. Really! I've tried and tried and have been told that in order to do so I must wait for a software update from Motorola. If it is possible now, how? Or, where can I go for instructions? I've been to Verizon and to Mortorola with no success. - Rich

Old 11-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Gen-M
Intellectual

A very cool setup.

However, Tnkgrl over at Handtops.com has published this picture of an even smaller desktop:

Old 11-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapchinj
definitely a very cool setup 8)
Definitely. I love this kind of stuff. It wouldn't work for me (at least right now), but it's great to see what can be done.

Old 11-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Kathy_Harris
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensub
I couldn�t imagine using VS.net on such a little screen, I�m getting annoyed when using it on my notebook which is 15.1" and 1280x800....
Wow, I used my 15" notebook at 1600x1200. I just got a 20" LCD yesterday and 1600x1200 looks absolutely huge!

Just a few more years and I'll be saying - "yeah, those good old days when my eyes worked."

But for now, bring on the 4" screen at SVGA

Old 11-12-2004, 05:35 PM
davidb67
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico
I agree, a sub-notebook would be a better solution. Not sure if battery drain would be the same since running all those bluetooth devices would certainly drain a PPC battery. But it is very cool to look at ... going to go and read the article now.

It amazes me that people still seem to harp on about battery drain with bluetooth.
One of the advantages of Bluetooth was it's low power requirement - making it suitable for small, mobile devices...
I leave b/t switched on permanantly on my 3970, my SE T610 and my Moto V600 because, to be honest, I cannot tell the difference (because it's sooo negligable) in battery times between b/t "on" and with b/t "off".

the battery-life I get out of my b/t gps, and 2 b/t headsets is equally fine.

Old 11-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb67
It amazes me that people still seem to harp on about battery drain with bluetooth.
One of the advantages of Bluetooth was it's low power requirement - making it suitable for small, mobile devices...
Well... with an even lower power drain in BT2.0, things can only get better.

I don't find BT to be all that bad to be honest. The old BT specification may have lacked in range and speed when compared with other wireless technologies, but the new BT2.0 specification may really amplify the use of BT in handhelds in the near future. That...and wireless USB (perhaps). :mrgreen: