Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Samsung i730 Pocket PC Phone Edition

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/samsung_2004/index.php?p=i730

Phone Scoop has managed to get some pictures and information on the new CDMA based Samsung i730, the follow up to the i700.

The device looks a little fat until you realize it has a sliding QWERTY keyboard that comes out from the back, which make it phat. Other features include:

� EV-DO high-speed data, camera
� Bluetooth
� SDIO slot
� Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC 2nd Edition

Phone Scoop has additional pictures and a detailed description of the sliding keyboard. Samsung didn't allow any pictures of it though. :?

Old 11-11-2004, 02:39 PM
surur
Mystic

A samsung with bluetooth! How unusual.

Competition is good, but this unit looks like it still has a way to go.

Surur

Old 11-11-2004, 02:55 PM
thunderck
Intellectual

huummm sliding keyboard... where have I seen that before..? :wink:

Old 11-11-2004, 02:56 PM
rocky_raher
Thinker

I'd be glad to have bluetooth. I currently have a Samsung SPH-i700, and am quite happy with it. I do consider the lack of either bluetooth or WiFi (which I would really like to have!) is a minor disadvantage.

I find the built-in stereo speakers an odd feature. Don't you lose quite a lot of the stereo effect if you put the speakers too close together (like 1.5 inches!!)? And how much audio quality should one expect from tiny speakers, anyway?

Old 11-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Ryan Joseph
Philosopher

That thing looks really familiar. 8O Where have I seen it before? Is that another device rebranded by Samsung?

I'm just having extreme deja vu here, bear with me. :?

Old 11-11-2004, 03:57 PM
TheZodiac
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to TheZodiac Send a message via Yahoo to TheZodiac

Convenient how none of the photos show the "sliding QWERTY keyboard" BLA!

Old 11-11-2004, 04:07 PM
stephman
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZodiac
Convenient how none of the photos show the "sliding QWERTY keyboard" BLA!
HA! was just thinking the same thing.

Old 11-11-2004, 04:22 PM
gibson042
Thinker

Engadget has a picture of the i730 with its keyboard extended:

Old 11-11-2004, 06:06 PM
DarkHelmet
Ponderer
Default Why this phone is a loser...

Camera - camera - camera...

Why does every manufacturer think that we want a camera in our cell phone? This type of inclusion continues to limit the market - people working in the computer, defense, and other related industries cannot use these camera phones. Blech!

Why don't the manufacturers look into combining self defense technologies (i.e. pepper spray dispensers, TASER type stun guns) or other benign technologies (remote car starters, electric groomers, electronic voting kiosks, etc.) into these whiz-bang doo-dads?

Old 11-11-2004, 06:19 PM
surur
Mystic
Default Re: Why this phone is a loser...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHelmet
Camera - camera - camera...

Why does every manufacturer think that we want a camera in our cell phone? This type of inclusion continues to limit the market - people working in the computer, defence, and other related industries cannot use these camera phones. Blech!

Why don't the manufacturers look into combining self defence technologies (i.e. pepper spray dispensers, TASER type stun guns) .....into these whiz-bang doo-dads?
Hey, this is a brilliant idea! I suggest you patent it immediately. Tazer especially should be easy!

Is that a phone in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me

Surur

PS: Too late, some-one has patented it already
What is claimed is:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtml/search-adv.htm&r=50&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&p=1&S1=((phone+AND+self)+AND+defense)&OS=phone+AND+self+AND+defense&RS=((phone+AND+self)+AND+defense)

Quote:
1. In an electric discharging personal safety device of the type having a main body with a plurality of spaced electrodes extending out from one end face of the main body, the improvement comprising a plurality of coverings wrapped around said electrodes respectively, and each of said coverings having holes defined therein for discharge of electricity therethrough,

wherein said covering are colored to match said main body, and

wherein said main body is configured as a handy body and said pair of spaced electrodes extends from the end face of said main body.

2. The electric discharging personal safety device as claimed in claim 1, wherein said pair of spaced electrodes are shaped into cylindrical pins that extend from an end of said main body.

3. The electric discharging personal safety device as claimed in claim 1, wherein said pair of spaced electrodes are shaped into arched plates and fixed on opposite sides of said main body.

4. The electric discharging personal safety device as claimed in claim 3, wherein a pair of additional electrodes shaped into cylindrical pins extends from an end of said main body, and wherein each of said additional electrodes is formed with secondary holes for discharge of electricity therethrough.

5. The electric discharging personal safety device as claimed in claim 1, wherein said main body is configured as a baton with a pair of spaced electrodes, and wherein said pair of spaced electrodes are shaped into sheets and fixed in parallel on opposite sides of said main body.

6. The electric discharging personal safety device as claimed in claim 1, wherein said main body is configured as a baton with a pair of spaced electrodes, and wherein said pair of spaced electrodes are shaped into strips and fixed helically around said main body.

7. The electric discharging personal safety device as claimed in claim 1, wherein said main body is configured and disguised as a mobile phone with two spaced electrodes, and wherein said spaced electrodes are shaped and disguised as antennas and extend from an end of said main body.