Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 11-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Cleaning Out the Junk on Your Pocket PC

http://www.handango.com/brainstore/...Id=0&catalog=30

It's a sad state of affairs when, on our desktop PCs with gigs of storage space, we have a disk cleanup tool to help clean out the junk and restore storage space, but on our Pocket PCs with limited storage, we have nothing. If you access the Web frequently, you'll be shocked at how much of your storage space is taken up. Microsoft didn't even provide a simple slider bar to control the amount of storage space Pocket Internet Explorer takes up. The irony of this never ceases to amaze me: on a device with limited memory, where we need tools for memory management so badly, we have none. :roll: The good news is that Memaid from Dinarsoft comes to the rescue. Here's what it looks like in action:

I've been using this program for several months, and it's a life saver. The operation is pretty simple: it scans the nooks and crannies of your device, looking for wasted space in the form of temp files, cookies, and other files it can safely delete without harming your data. I used it on my X30 after several weeks of heavy 'Net access, and it deleted over 7 MB of cached Web graphics and text! 8O If you're lucky enough to have a supported Pocket PC, it can even limit the size of your Internet Explorer temporary files (this feature didn't work on my X30 unfortunately).

Dinarsoft has given us a 20% discount coupon to offer all our subscribers - you'll find it on the discounts page. With this discount the app is only $7.99, which is a great price for a very useful app. Check it out!

Old 11-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

I gave MemMaid a go as well. It's surprising how much "stuff" is left behind when you uninstall programs. I used to manually delete unwanted registry keys and program files that were left behind from uninstallations, until I got lazy. This program pretty much does all the work for you.

It also acts as a great manager for your startup tasks, notifications, storage use, etc. Worth trying if you haven't tried it before! :way to go:

Old 11-02-2004, 07:06 PM
DinarSoft
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apod
I gave MemMaid a go as well. It's surprising how much "stuff" is left behind when you uninstall programs. I used to manually delete unwanted registry keys and program files that were left behind from uninstallations, until I got lazy. This program pretty much does all the work for you.

It also acts as a great manager for your startup tasks, notifications, storage use, etc. Worth trying if you haven't tried it before! :way to go:
Thanks for the nice comments about MemMaid,
We just want to give a small hint (we'll include this hint in the installtion in our next update to MemMaid)
Did you notice that each tab has different screens (features) ?
You can switch to differnet screen withen the same tab by tapping on the small arrow at the top-left.

Just to let you know :wink:

Old 11-02-2004, 07:08 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinarSoft
Did you notice that each tab has different screens (features) ?
You can switch to differnet screen withen the same tab by tapping on the small arrow at the top-left.

Just to let you know :wink:
Actually, as concealed as it is, it was one of the first things I noticed.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:11 PM
SHC
Intellectual

Love the new Avatar DJ-Apod!

Old 11-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

HOLY @*# - It found 12.2 MB of Internet Cache Files.... I thought my 6315 was running a little too slowly.

Another Satisified Customer - I purchased it immediately upon seeing that 12.2

Jon.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:41 PM
carphead
Thinker

Been using this for a couple of months. It's a top app. One of the first after a hard reset. I love the ability to clean custom dirs. I set mine to be the egress images cache.

I hadn't even noticed the ability to delete today plugins before.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

I use SK Tools for all these functions and alot more. Is it a bit more of a power user's tool the interface is a little different.

This app looks really nice. Very pretty and colorful. It looks like lots of features have been added since I last looked at it. Very nice.

Old 11-02-2004, 08:02 PM
DinarSoft
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lee
This app looks really nice. Very pretty and colorful. It looks like lots of features have been added since I last looked at it. Very nice.
There is more to come as well,
Unfortunatly we can't list the features we're adding/planning to add.
But how about flash card tools as an exmaple (format/scan/defrag) ?

Old 11-02-2004, 08:36 PM
PJE
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinarSoft
There is more to come as well
Looks good.

What's the upgrade policy? Lifetime upgrades or updates until V2 comes along...