Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 11-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Network Browser 1.1 Released

http://www.vmobilesoftware.com/NetworkBrowser.htm

"The Network Browser is a fully featured network browsing and diagnostic tool with user friendly interface designed to be similar to a desktop version of the file browser. Now you can easily access your corporate network or play MP3 files stored on your desktop's hard drive."

v1.1 has several major new features, including Second Edition support, a WiFi scanner/network status screen, and an improved network discovery mechanism amongst other additions.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:44 PM
k1darkknight
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to k1darkknight Send a message via Yahoo to k1darkknight
Default Hmmm...no mention of this being trialware...

This software looks fairly impressive, aside from the fact that it is something that should be either built-in to WM2003, or available from microsoft as a free add-on (even if it were unsupported, i.e. the powertoys utilities, for our desktops). The big problem I have with the way they are setting this up, is that Vmobile software is positioning this as trialware, rather than shareware, or crippleware. I would rather have a totally free version of this program, that had some limited functionality (require copying a file in order to actually use it, essentially disabling the ability to play mp3's stored on your desktop, for example), than have full access to it for 14 days, then have to pay $18 to use ANY of its functions that SHOULD have been included by "Big Green" (Microsoft) in the FIRST PLACE!

Ok, done ranting...
Chris, aka Se�or bundleware

Old 11-02-2004, 03:18 AM
rob_ocelot
Ponderer
Default Re: Hmmm...no mention of this being trialware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1darkknight
This software looks fairly impressive, aside from the fact that it is something that should be either built-in to WM2003, or available from microsoft as a free add-on (even if it were unsupported, i.e. the powertoys utilities, for our desktops). The big problem I have with the way they are setting this up, is that Vmobile software is positioning this as trialware, rather than shareware, or crippleware. I would rather have a totally free version of this program, that had some limited functionality (require copying a file in order to actually use it, essentially disabling the ability to play mp3's stored on your desktop, for example), than have full access to it for 14 days, then have to pay $18 to use ANY of its functions that SHOULD have been included by "Big Green" (Microsoft) in the FIRST PLACE!

Ok, done ranting...
Chris, aka Se�or bundleware
or you can use NetUse from Bizdev which is freeware and allows you to map your network shares into any PocketPC program (I know Resco Explorer allows you to do this as well but you can only access the shares via Resco). It doesn't do that lazy-ass 'discovery' of your shares but you can just check your desktop to get an idea of what is shared.

I agree though that this fuctionality should have been in the OS from the start. I mean we have remote access and VPN, and this is quite trivial to troubleshoot in comparison.

Old 11-02-2004, 04:50 AM
EricMCarson
Ponderer
Default Re: Hmmm...no mention of this being trialware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_ocelot
(I know Resco Explorer allows you to do this as well but you can only access the shares via Resco).
Actually, Resco Explorer 2003 gives you the ability to map network shares as a folder so that any PPC program can access the files. I actually use this quite regularly to pull down JPEG/WMA/WMV files from my media server to view.

Old 11-02-2004, 05:26 AM
welovejesus
Ponderer
Default Link, etc.

People can download NetUse here.
I have tried NetUse, Resco Explorer, and Network Browser 1.1. and have not been able to connect to the shared folders on my Windows XP computers on the wireless network. Currently the SSID is hidden, the IP addresses are confined to the mac addresses of the wireless cards. Is there a PocketPC limitation to connectivity or is there a setup problem?