Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 10-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Blimkeys -- Free Thumbable SIP

http://www.freewareppc.com/utilitie.../blimkeys.shtml

"Blimkeys is a standard Software Input Panel (SIP) for PocketPC 2002 and WindowsMobile 2003 based PDAs. With Blimkeys, you can input text to any application on your PDA like write SMS on a regular cellphone. This method is quite fast, and you can use it one hand."

It's free, so if you've been looking for a one-handed typing solution, you might want to check it out. I'm not quite sure it's for me, though; I'm so addicted by Fitaly I'd much rather go through the extra effort of freeing my other hand and using the stylus with it. If you want more details, the developer's webpage on the product is here.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Paul P
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to Paul P

It took like 18 seconds to input 'Hello World!'? hmmm :wink:

Old 10-22-2004, 05:47 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul P
It took like 18 seconds to input 'Hello World!'? hmmm :wink:
Bear in mind that the SIP is in development, and the author has plans for future releases that incorporate predictive text input and word completion technologies.

It would be a lot faster than 18 seconds once that is implemented.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:52 PM
gibson042
Thinker

It looks pretty weak right now, but if the author's plans for predictive text input and word completion come out as a user-adaptive T9 then I'd definitely look into giving the product a whirl.

Old 10-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Darius Wey

This post is just to update on the progress of Blimkeys.

The author recently released this bit of information about impending releases of the project:

I am on the right way, to modify the program to allow many user customisation. Finaly I made a test program, which can draw the keyboard from predefinied settings, not from bitmaps. I will place the code to Blimkeys source, and after it you can adjust the following things via a simple txt file:

numbers of boards (boards: I mean a page for small letters, a page for capital letters, a page for numbers, a page for user definied keys etc)
colors
the height of each board
the cols of each board
the rows of each board
the letters, signs or function keys on the keys
board switch keys present or not on each board

So you will be define your custom layout. Your language's special characters, the size of the board etc. And the keyboard will comform to the sreen width.

So this may help those users who have trouble inputting with the pre-defined squares.

Old 10-22-2004, 06:33 PM
bradgigalo
Pupil

this could be the dumbest thing I have ever seen for pocket pc.

Why would you want to type that way?

I was just here thinking inputing text on my phone is so much fun I sure wish I use the same slow time consuming method on my PDA.

DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!

Old 10-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradgigalo
this could be the dumbest thing I have ever seen for pocket pc.

Why would you want to type that way?

I was just here thinking inputing text on my phone is so much fun I sure wish I use the same slow time consuming method on my PDA.

DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!
To some maybe...however to others, this may be the greatest thing alive! (Okay, perhaps a slight exaggeration there :P). Anyway, the point is, there are some people out there who have abnormally quick fingers, and as such, can tap-type at breakneck speeds. I know someone who inputs text on their mobile faster than they can type on their computer. Weird, yet wonderful!

Old 10-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Gerard
Pontificator

Could some kind soul point out the English download location? I've been all through the 5 pages of developers forum discussion on Blimkeys, and looked elsewhere on the site, but the links to Hungarian, Swedish, and other non-English files are all I can see.

Old 10-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Blue Zero
Ponderer

I think this is pointless (or close to) on a PDA

Old 10-22-2004, 07:07 PM
snayar
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to snayar

Please bear in mind that this tool works best on a Pocket PC Phone Edition, where SMS messaging is integrated and now I can send SMSs using just one hand!!! :wink:

It's not for writing long letters or memos, it's for SMS (Short Messaging Service) so it's not so DUMB after all right? :roll: