Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 10-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default Pocket Streets and Trips 2005 Now Available: As a Stand Alone Product!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob...ts/default.mspx

"Pocket Streets 2005 is available as a stand alone product in major retail stores and contains the Pocket PC and Smartphone versions. Previous versions of Pocket Streets were only available by purchasing a downloadable version from Handango.com or with the purchase of a Microsoft mapping product, such as MapPoint, Streets & Trips, or AutoRoute. The retail version of Pocket Streets 2005 will come with approximately 300 North America maps and 275 Western Europe maps right in the box. "

New features include:
� New Maps: Pocket Streets 2005 customers will be able to download new maps for Australia, Brazil, and Greece.
� New Scale Feature: Pocket Streets 2005 now features a measurement scale to help customers get a better idea of distance between locations.
� Improved User Interface: Makes it easier for customers to locate the information they need, switch between maps and GPS information, and open maps without going through the file manager every time.
� Zoom in or out to see just what you want on a map.
� Customize maps with personal points of interest.
� Search for destinations and addresses by using partial names and "roam" maps to search for points of interest.
� Link to a GPS device to indicate your realtime location on a map. You can easily switch back and forth between a map and GPS information, such as your current latitude and longitude.
� With your Pocket PC or Pocket PC Phone, you can copy maps to Microsoft Pocket Word to produce professional-looking agendas.
� With your Pocket PC or Pocket PC Phone, you can plot a contact's address or map the location of your calendar appointment.
� Opens with the most recently used map loaded instead of having to choose a map each time you open Pocket Streets.

While Microsoft has announced the availability of Pocket Streets and Trips, they've only just now gotten around to announcing that it can be purchased separately from desktop mapping programs. The price isn't all that bad, either - just $29.95 directly from Microsoft. What do you current users think? Are these upgrades enough to entice you?

Old 10-20-2004, 07:28 PM
D.psi
Ponderer

So, I'm confused is Pocket Streets 2005 included with any of the desktop MS mapping programs? Or are only the older versions available? The press release is unusually ambiguous on this point, and I can't (easily) find any evidence one way or the other on this.

Is this simply another cash grab?

D.psi
edit Guess I should have read Jonathan's post as linked by Pat. It appears that the 2005 version is available in the desktop versions...

Old 10-20-2004, 08:07 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

Personally, not interested. I still remember when you could download the program for free. Other than the GPS integration, it doesn't seem the program has really advanced that much since then. I don't understand why they haven't added map routing and directions. If they did, I might actually consider it. 'Til then, the only way I would probably pick this up is to upgrade my desktop version package.

Old 10-20-2004, 08:11 PM
farnold
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to farnold

Mates, for the first time you get a street directory for Sydney and other Australian cities at a decent price. The only other offering in the market asks for more than 100 US$ 8O and doesn't offer a better product...

Old 10-20-2004, 08:37 PM
disconnected
Sage

It looks like just what you get included with the desktop Streets and Trips 2005 -- which can be gotten at Amazon for 34.99 (with free shipping) minus a 10.00 mail-in rebate for a final cost of 24.99. That's assuming that you can also download the out of North America maps for the version that comes with the desktop one?

Old 10-20-2004, 08:40 PM
HoustonPPC
Neophyte

Sorry, but I don't get it!!!

Why buying Pocket Street 2005 for "JUST" $29.95, when you can buy Streets & Trips 2005 (with Pocket Street 2005 included) for $29.44 at walmart.com:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3327609

:bangin:

Old 10-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPPC
Why buying Pocket Street 2005 for "JUST" $29.95, when you can buy Streets & Trips 2005 (with Pocket Street 2005 included) for $29.44 at walmart.com: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3327609
Welcome, HoustonPPC! That's actually a pretty good point. I went back and re-read the press release we were sent, and the price listed was "an estimated $24.95". Either they estimated wrong, or the price is a mistake. Not that $5 bucks makes that much difference, but still. :wink:

Old 10-20-2004, 09:17 PM
rmasinag
Theorist

I am curently using the Mapopolis non-gps version and its very quick and responsive. I dont have a car to justify buying a BT GPS .

For you guys that know, how does this product compare with Mapopolis ofr PPC?

Old 10-20-2004, 09:24 PM
omnytex
Neophyte

This choice kind of sucks in my mind...

Mapopolis the PROGRAM is, IMHO, far superior to PS&T. But, Streets & Trips on the desktop is fantastic, and the ability to generate maps for the pocket version is great. I don't like Mapopolis' approach to the map data, if they had a way I could create my own map of an arbitrary area like I can from S&T, it would be an absolute winner.

I don't know how many times I've had to travel in an area and so I just went to S&T, created a map about twice as big as the area I'd be in, downloaded it to my X5 and off I went. If I had to go look up the zip code like I have to for Mapopolis (or so my understanding is, maybe I'm wrong?), I'd hate it.

Mapopolis costs quite a bit more too when you factor in the map data, so overall I go with S&T (as someone else said, just pay the $30 or so for the desktop version, the pocket version comes with it), even though as I said, the Mapopolis program is much better (faster, more feature-rich, etc).

Old 10-20-2004, 09:45 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I paid $25CAD for the desktop version of S&T2004, that came with Pocket Streets for free. $25USD or more for the Pocket version (even if it is generation newer) is too much.