Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 10-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default OQO Preorder Page Up

http://www.oqo.com/store/shop.cgi/op/op_index.html

As I mentioned a month ago, OQO was planning to launch their device in mid-October. Looks like that's the case, sort of: you can now preorder the OQO. The image on their site suggests:

I take a little exception to this being equivalent to "available", though. If a unit is preorderable, that doesn't actually mean it's here. I'll be glad to see the units shipping, but we have to wait... just a little bit more. :| We'll be happy to post on it again, though, when regular review sites and users get their hands on it. I'm also curious if Sony will take the bait and start offering their U model devices here... as it is, they've already beaten OQO out of the gate, but they're only officially selling the units in Japan.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:25 PM
MikeUnwired
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to MikeUnwired Send a message via Yahoo to MikeUnwired

Until real people start getting their "pre-orders" filled, I'd be inclined to sit back and wait on this. It's still vaporware to me. With the price, I can't see these flying off the shelves even when they do deliver because they are coming from a micro-cottage-style company rather than a known quantity. Now, if Sony suddenly came into the market, I could see their units moving quite nicely -- people trust Sony to actually deliver and support their products.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:52 PM
alabij
Intellectual

I have a feeling that the 'preorder' is a way to determine if its worth mass producing this concept of theirs.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:53 PM
GoldKey
Pontificator

If you look at the alt text for the image on the page, it says "Now Shipping!". Pitty the visually impaired user who places an order.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:14 PM
arebelspy
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to arebelspy

I don't think Sony will be coming into the U.S. market after so recently leaving the U.S. PDA market (their clie line), althoguh this is slightly different (handheld versus PDA).

Rumors say though that the U50/U70 are being discontinued though, even in Japan.. further reason they won't bring them to the U.S.

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/archives/000607.php

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkonther...50_discon.html

-arebelspy

Old 10-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Underwater Mike
Thinker

Too bad, as the U70 is uber-cool, if out of my price range.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Why in the world does this come with XP Pro or XP Home and not the Tablet PC edition? :confused totally: I know that "Tablet PC" didn't exist when the OQO first started to get hyped, but it has been out several years now and on its second revision, Tablet PC 2005.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:39 PM
hotweiss
Ponderer

If only the price was around $1000, I'd highly consider the OQO. But for $1899, I'd rather go backpacking through Asia or Europe for two months.

Old 10-13-2004, 08:36 PM
csterns
Intellectual

The size of this blows me away. I just measured my Axim X30 in its case and it is the same size. 14 ounces versus 3 pounds of my Tablet PC (slate mode) makes this tempting to me to sell my Tablet and jump on one of these. I could converge my Axim and Tablet into one. It certainly would be a nice compliment to my desktop setup. Now if it were a phone too that would be awesome but that would be asking too much.

20GB HD bothers me a little in that you might have to juggle some programs and be selective as to what you install. Still with the digitizer pen and third party software you could make this into a neat little tablet device.

Old 10-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Typhoon
Sage

$2000 = too expensive! = BOOOOOOO!!!!

What is wrong w/OQO? How can they expect people to be productive on a computer that only has 256 MB of RAm, 1 GHz CPU, run all necessary apps, browse the web, etc. 1 GHz maybe okay, but 256 MB of RAM is too little. Norton AV has to run. Run IE in about 15 windows might be too much (so Opera would have to be used). XP Pro is neccessary for VS Studio. I think the OQO sucks in hardware wise. For $2000 its a ripoff. The only thing you can do w/it is draw and run MP3s. And where is Tablet PC? Maybe there is 3rd party writing drivers in there.