Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-12-2004, 05:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default More Axim X50 Details Leaking Out

http://www.pocketfactory.com/archiv...st_axim_x50.php

Looks like we're nearing the release of the X50. :mrgreen: Someone got a hold of the PDF manual for the X50, and our very own Kent from Digital Media Thoughts took it upon himself to summarize the specifications on his personal site (linked above).

"Dell is launching the Axim X50 tomorrow. And judging from the specs, it looks like a hot little handheld. The X50 comes in two flavors and features a 624mhz, 520mhz, or 416mhz Xscale processors, respectively. As well as 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, or 64MB StrataFlash ROM. There will be two models; the Axim X50 and X50v. While the base X50 will have a traditional 240x320 native display, the X50v will offer a VGA screen, both capable of 16-bit color (65,000 colors). Both devices will feature a Compact Flash and SDIO slot."

Old 10-12-2004, 05:04 AM
serpico
Intellectual

Let's see how thick that puppy is with both slots.

On another note, Bill Gates is supposed to be introducing XP Reloaded tomorrow at a certain conference. The two maybe related. I read it today at another news site.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:17 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator
Default X50v: HTC Yellow Screens??

BAH! Figures. I post a question on the model and this thread pops up.

Since it looks like we are REALLY close to a release of the x50 I have one nagging question. Obviously no one can really give a definitive answer since no one has a x50 yet. With that being said......
I'm all but certain that I want this model but I'm hesitant. HTC had a solid track record for their form factors but their screens. The whole yellow screen on the HP line is/was a major turn-off and frankly I�m more then a little nervous about the X50v.
Even the recently release Blue Angle PDA phone has this same problem. I guess what I�m wondering if what is the likelihood that with a new VGA screen do you guys think this �issue� will be rectified?
What's your thoughts on the subject?

Old 10-12-2004, 05:19 AM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico
Let's see how thick that puppy is with both slots.
According to the manual - 16.9 mm (6.7").

According to the datasheet - 16 mm (6.3").

A previous Dell source in the Aximsite forums said 15.9 mm (6.3").

Assuming the datasheet has rounded the figure up (as they have with the inch measurements) then two and three can be counted as the same.

Courtesy of one of our forum members - here is the link to the manual on Dell's site: http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...0/en/index.htm

Old 10-12-2004, 05:25 AM
serpico
Intellectual

Dell actually has this posted already on their website ? I didn't know it would be there yet until final release. Has anyone seen pictures of the slots and width ?

Old 10-12-2004, 05:30 AM
arnage2
Oracle

if the X50 is announced tomorrow, i wonder how long it will be till they actually ship

Old 10-12-2004, 05:33 AM
isilver
Intellectual

Does it support USB 2.0. I hate the old Dell Axim X5 and it's slow transfer rates onto the Secure Digital card.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:40 AM
Boxster S
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by isilver
Does it support USB 2.0. I hate the old Dell Axim X5 and it's slow transfer rates onto the Secure Digital card.
Get a USB 2.0 SD Reader from OfficeMax for free after rebate you cheapskate

Heck you can get 7-in-1 USB 2.0 readers all day long for $10-$15

Old 10-12-2004, 05:50 AM
isilver
Intellectual

May laziness goes far beyond what you think. I actually have a card reader. But I hate taking the card out and putting it into the card reader. I prefer just to sync through active sync. I just want it to be fast and easy.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:49 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by isilver
May laziness goes far beyond what you think. I actually have a card reader. But I hate taking the card out and putting it into the card reader. I prefer just to sync through active sync. I just want it to be fast and easy.
As bad as it sounds, I hate taking my SD card out too. It's a hassle.