Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-14-2004, 03:30 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Toshiba e830 Launches in Europe & Japan Today (But Not in USA)

http://pocketpctools.com/modules.ph...ticle&sid2=1313

Well, Janak's post last week about the e830 already being sold in Japan was very close to the mark. It looks like the launch date is here for real, as Pocket PC Paradise review shows. (Machine translated from the original article in French):

"It is today, September 14 2004 that Toshiba launches its new offensive with the exit of its Pocket PC e830, the last born top-of-the-range of the Japanese manufacturer. Pocket PC that the manufacturer wished more powerful and communicating than the e800, placing by the same occasion the bar still a little higher in the world of top-of-the-range Pocket PC. Behind a design identical to that of the e800 some surprises hide that PocketPCParadise.com proposes to you to discover of planetary exclusiveness since your servant could touch, to test and put to the test the e830 during two weeks in order to present today all to you that it is necessary to know about it."

So, having had the device for two weeks, the intrepid review team run though a barrage of tests, with plenty of benchmarks and technical details. The e830's speculations include a 4 inch VGA screen, PPC2003SE, 128Mb RAM, 64 Mb (24 Mb use accessible) CF type II & SDIO/MMC slots, a PXA272 520MHz CPU, an Intel Graphics Chipset, WiFi, BlueTooth 1.2, an integrated IP telephony tool and a 1320 mAh Battery. The size is 77x135x167 mm with a weight of 200gr and a cost of around 699 Euros. The unit can take the same high capacity batteries as the e805 and the review seems to suggest that the designs are very similar. The dimensions are certainly identical, so it would be great if the e805 cases would fit the e830. I wonder if Pocket PC Paradise will grace us with an English translation of that article. It really does look like a good review, even after being manically mangled by machine translation.

Now � about the non-appearance of the e830 in North America. I believe the correct expression would be something along the lines of 'WHA!????' First the LOOX and now this. Very odd. :? Jkendrick at PocketPCTools confirmed that the e830 won't be released to the US 'at this time', possibly leaving the door open for a future release date. I guess there will be a few imports heading the unusual way across the pond before then though. Has anyone seen an e830 for sale in Japan or Europe yet? Go on, lets play 'spot the e830', a game for the whole Pocket PC Family. :wink:

Old 09-14-2004, 03:30 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

I just love machine translations :lol: :

Quote:
This switch makes it possible to decontaminate the external buttons of the e800 (except of course the On/off button) so that the PDA does not ignite inadvertently at the bottom of your pocket, a very good idea allowing to save the battery.
Quote:
The directional pad can be configured as a paving stone 4 or 8 positions. This parameter setting is carried out via the operating system and allows to the virtuosos pad to be devoted in the most total comfort, with some plays between important meetings.
Quote:
On right-hand side of the buttons, one notices the high speaker of Pocket PC which profits from generous hearing while on the left, a diode is used as witness of load and alarm.
Quote:
The space of 48 cm� prove to be comfortable for the writing by a show of hands and Toshiba preserves its palm of the best transflectif screen all confused machines. It should be noted that the seizure by a show of hands with Transcriber in VGA is now a thing implemented under Windows Mobile 2003 SE.
Oh for a real translator at this point. :wink:

We'll know when computers have gotten really smart when they can translate articles like this one sensibly.......

Old 09-14-2004, 03:36 AM
DanielTS
Ponderer

Another French review :
PPCCool

Translation tools:
Altavista
Systran

Old 09-14-2004, 03:58 AM
Duncan
Pontificator

200 grammes - ouch...!

Old 09-14-2004, 04:01 AM
johncruise
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to johncruise

Oh man... I am tempted. 2 things holding me back though.... unavailability of the unit here in the US and the price! 857USD?! Wow! To think that most PPC's (aka WM) prices are plumeting down nowadays. Geez.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:16 AM
badbob001
Ponderer

Intel Video chipset. I wonder what that would be. I can't be the 2700G, can it?

Old 09-14-2004, 04:28 AM
DanielTS
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncruise
Oh man... I am tempted. 2 things holding me back though.... unavailability of the unit here in the US and the price! 857USD?! Wow! To think that most PPC's (aka WM) prices are plumeting down nowadays. Geez.
European price is always higher :
e800 US : 525 us$
e800 EU : 633 euros

Old 09-14-2004, 04:32 AM
DanielTS
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001
Intel Video chipset. I wonder what that would be. I can't be the 2700G, can it?
According to Ppccool, the e830 has an Intel 2700G5.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:33 AM
johncruise
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to johncruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncruise
European price is always higher :
e800 US : 525 us$
e800 EU : 633 euros
Hello DanielTS, where did you get that price? According to PPCTools, it's 699 EU (well.... including taxes). But still....

699 Euros = 857 USD

Also, 633 EUR == 776 USD.

(conversion source...http://www.xe.net -- pretty reliable)

Thanks in advance...

Old 09-14-2004, 04:36 AM
DanielTS
Ponderer

e800 EU price :
http://www.rue-hardware.com/prix/ach...iba-E800-WIFI/