Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 09-11-2004, 02:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default NYT: The Rise Of Retro Tech

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/09/t...&partner=rssnyt

"WHEN most people shop for a cellphone, considerations like aesthetics, size and features usually top the list. For most, the sleeker, the smaller and the more fully loaded the phone, the better. But when Eugene Auh went trawling at eBay for a cheap cellphone last month, he searched for one with a decidedly anachronistic bent."

To be nostalgic is human, I guess, and this article takes a humorous look at past technology and how people miss it to the point of either reusing it or housing newer tech in classic cases. I still remember the Timex Sinclair we played briefly with at home, and I'm still very fond of my memories of the C64, on which I spent many an hour playing and programming (well, and fixing others' C64s and 1541s, for that matter). That said, I'm not going back to those ancient analog phone bricks. How about you? How far back did your gadgets go, and have you resurrected or dusted off any of them?

Old 09-11-2004, 02:05 AM
foldedspace
Thinker

What provider can you use that thing for? I'm guessing you can't wedge a SIM card in the back....

Old 09-11-2004, 02:39 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoldedSpace
What provider can you use that thing for? I'm guessing you can't wedge a SIM card in the back....
Presumably one of the few providers that still offer analog. I think Verizon, AT&T, and Cingular still do, in many areas. Not for much longer, though...

--janak

Old 09-11-2004, 04:23 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Well, my husband and I used to hold Atari 2600 parties, and last weekend we went to an annual C64 convention that we've been attending regularly for a number of years, which a number of our friends also go to. It's a nice way to see out-of-town friends on a regular basis (Minnesota, New Mexico, Mexico, Canada, Sweden, etc).

Old 09-11-2004, 04:54 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

I still have my (OK my brother's) NES, fun to take it out and spend five minutes to get old Donkey Kong working.

Old 09-11-2004, 06:02 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

We still have a motorola bag phone sitting in the closet over here...

Old 09-11-2004, 06:07 AM
szamot
Sage

not as old as some of the toys mentioned here but I still have Two, yes count them Two, Palm Professional. One for the right pocket one for the left. It changed my life forever. :wink:

Old 09-11-2004, 07:50 AM
rhmorrison
Philosopher

I still have my NEC PC-8201A laptop that I used intesively from 1983 - 1987.
Every now and then I find something useful to do with it.

Old 09-11-2004, 02:06 PM
that_kid
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to that_kid

Well I still have my atari 2600 that I play from time to time, I even have the atari emu on my ppc along with 500 or so roms. I'd have to say the oldest thing I still use would be my Heathkit, Hallicrafters & Hamurlund amatur radio gear. Some of the equipment I use is dated back to the 50's and while it is old, it works great and you'd have to pay in the thousands of dollars to get a new radio that has a reciever and transmitter as good as these rigs. Now of course in my car I can't fit something as big as those radios(which are about the size of a carry on bag) so I have something newer in there. Oh I also still buy records, ya know that black vinyl stuff

Old 09-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Hx4700
Intellectual

I have several Atari-800 consoles boxed up with a ton of accessories including two 80-column cards (a big WOW back then).
And lots of games on 5-1/4 inch floppys (single-sided, no less)! Anyone remember filpping them over and notching them with a single hole punch to use both sides?? We called them "Kerrys" back them - uh no, make that "flippies"
Ron...