Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 09-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default RIM's New Blackberry 7100t -- And Its Funky Keyboard

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1128237470392225/

Yesterday, there was a flurry of announcements and quick looks at RIM's new always-on email communicator, which looks much more like a smartphone than any of their previous devices.

I was initially not going to post on this, as it's more fodder for Smartphone Thoughts than Pocket PC Thoughts, since the new device doesn't have a touchscreen just like the old one. However, after reading some of the reviews, I thought the thumbboard was interesting enough to merit discussion. In order to make the device more compact and phonelike, they rearranged the keyboard so that two characters are on each key. They then use a T9-like predictive text entry system called SureType, where you hit each key only once and let the device guess which letter you meant. Since it's only guessing amongst two characters as opposed to three on any given key, the reviews say it's amazingly accurate. I'm now wondering if these kinds of keyboards should be adopted by Pocket PC phones or Pocket PCs in general to help shrink integrated solutions, or if the Treo-style thumbboard is still preferable.

Rumors also suggest that this unit will have Bluetooth, which might make it an attractive companion to a Pocket PC (use this for email and phone calls, and Pocket PC for full-featured PIM functions and webbrowsing). What do you guys think?

Old 09-09-2004, 03:06 PM
suhit
Ponderer

So I was almost certainly going to get the Sidekick II when it came out (next week?) but after seeing the RIM, I think I am going to wait a month and get this instead.

BTW, given that this will probably be using a funky data plan much like the T-mobile Sidekick/II, will one be able to stream data over BT to a laptop/PocketPC for free? Or will one have to buy a separate extra data plan?

Suhit

Old 09-09-2004, 03:26 PM
bcries
Pupil

So what happens when RIM adds WiFi to one of these devices? I can testify that their web browsing is already quick and pretty... a convergence device (that you can REALLY use with one hand) would be pretty fly.

Let me see if I understand this right. The PPC still finds its main appeal in corporate environments... but RIM has the better reputation among corporate buyers? Normally I'd root for M$, but it seems like they're going to get squeezed on both sides (PalmOne on the low end, RIM on the high end) unless they pull out some new tricks.

Honestly, I think PPC could compete if they'd make their platform more jogdial-friendly. Most PPC apps are no good with only one hand... any step in this direction would be good. I hate letting go of the subway pole to use my PDA!

Old 09-09-2004, 03:56 PM
entropy1980
Oracle
Default Re: RIM's New Blackberry 7100t -- And Its Funky Keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Rumors also suggest that this unit will have Bluetooth
Not a rumor at all it will have bluetooth see here.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

Getting a sneak peek at one next week in a training sponsored by RIM.

I can't wait :-)

Old 09-09-2004, 04:15 PM
aliensub
Pupil

I think the idea of a "2 letter key" is great combined with the T9 wannabe. But I think it would require support for alot of languages because otherwise it will be of no use. The predictive text that PPC has is of no use for me since my native language is danish. They could make the task of supported dictionaries easier by using an open protocol so third party or other could supply to it.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Underwater Mike
Thinker

Mossberg gave it a good review on WSJ.com, but I'd still rather have a full keyboard. If only MSFT would take a cue from RIM on the email and Web clients, PPC might be asier to use on those fronts.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:40 PM
sfrank8734
Pupil

I'd like to see one. If the screen is as horrible as the screen on my Blackberry 7280 I'll pass.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:42 PM
entropy1980
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrank8734
I'd like to see one. If the screen is as horrible as the screen on my Blackberry 7280 I'll pass.
All the reviews have said the screen is one of the best screens they have ever seen.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:33 PM
bcries
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrank8734
My friends working for RIM have test units... the screens look at least as bright and crisp as my Dell Axim X5.