Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 09-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default BargainPDA Reviews The iPAQ 6315

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.a...ew=HP+iPaq+6315

"The HP iPaq 6300 series Pocket PC Phone is HP's first dive into the integrated phone and PDA market. The HP iPaq 6315 unit being sold in the U.S. includes a camera while the iPaq 6310 sold in Europe does not. Both the iPaq 6310 and iPaq 6315 come with an array of wireless connectivity options and quad band GSM support to enable worldwide use. Converging two devices into one as the iPaq 6315 does makes a lot of sense, especially for mobile warriors, but the jack of all trades master of none paradigm applies to this device and buyers will have to weigh whether the benefits of carrying one device instead of two outweighs the drawbacks."

The review is generally upbeat, particularly noting the extremely good battery life of the iPAQ 6315. I particularly liked this comparison shot, though -- it gives me a better idea of how the 6315 is sized.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Underwater Mike
Thinker
Default Not quite there.

I just switched carriers, from SPCS to Cingular, to get a Bluetooth phone to use with my trust ol' X5. I would've considered this IF it had a faster proc, more RAM and a VGA screen -- even if it bumped the price by $100. But it's just not a killer device for me yet.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Jeff Song
Thoughts Media Review Team
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Song

well now rumors are spreading that dell is going to make a treo like PDAPhone soon...we'll see how that device does. Early reports suggest it will have an integrated thumbboard. if so that is the device i will be getting, or the benq p50, if that thing ever comes out.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Kash76
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
well now rumors are spreading that dell is going to make a treo like PDAPhone soon...we'll see how that device does. Early reports suggest it will have an integrated thumbboard. if so that is the device i will be getting, or the benq p50, if that thing ever comes out.
PocketPC based??

Old 09-07-2004, 09:56 PM
DaleReeck
Sage
Default Re: Not quite there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Donatello
I just switched carriers, from SPCS to Cingular, to get a Bluetooth phone to use with my trust ol' X5. I would've considered this IF it had a faster proc, more RAM and a VGA screen -- even if it bumped the price by $100. But it's just not a killer device for me yet.
$100 bump? Try $300 or $400 for specs like that. If an XDA without WiFi or VGA retails for $900, the same device with WiFi and VGA now would be at least as much, if not more. Plus, your battery life will be about five minutes.

Old 09-08-2004, 02:54 AM
wjsteele
Pupil
Default One little problem.

I love mine, the only problem that I have with it is the fact that when you
"turn it off" the BlueTooth shuts down. That makes it hard to leave the device in your pocket when you have a BlueTooth headset. You have to take it out and leave it on the entire time you're on the phone. What a pain.

Hopefully, HP will fix this with a patch.

Bill

Old 09-08-2004, 05:33 AM
dhpss
Intellectual
Default Slow performance.....

Use this as a phone and normal PIM function, this iPaq is OK...But if you try to use intensive CPU load such GPS...It is painfully slooooooow.....
Beware!

Old 09-08-2004, 06:20 AM
nuka_t
Ponderer

it performs like crap. a 200dollar ppc can outperform it.

and it dosent even have VGA.

horrbile IMO.

Old 09-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Venturello
Intellectual

Guys, I am looking for a Pocket PC Phone Edition and I very much appreciate the quad phone. I am mostly a PIM and e-book user, so performance is not that much of a deal to me - more important is battery life as this would become my main phone. Also regarding VGA... well, you cant have it all I guess.

Question: will the US model, with Camera, be use-able with European operators? Is there/will there be an 'unlocked' model I can order and use with my home phone line? (Spain, Telefonica).

Thanks!

Juan Miguel Venturello

Old 09-08-2004, 02:05 PM
mesposito2
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to mesposito2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuka_t
it performs like crap. a 200dollar ppc can outperform it.

and it dosent even have VGA.

horrbile IMO.
I've been using it for 2 weeks, and it performs fine for me, running PocketInformant, PocketBible, Excel, IE, WebIS Mail, PocketMusic.

Also, most PocketPC's don't have VGA.