Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-06-2004, 08:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Loox 710 and 720 Available for Order

http://www.firstloox.org/index.php?...p2_articleid=50

Interested in buying a Loox 710 or Loox 720? Well Clove Technology have the 710 at �339.58 (inc. VAT), while the 720 is �398.33 (inc VAT). If you're interested in getting a LOOX from Clove, be sure to pop over to First Loox to get details of an addition �10 discount. This UK company also ships PPCs worldwide, a situation I find slightly odd. Isn't it usually us Europeans importing US and Japanese PPCs, rather than vice versa? In case you were wondering, they have thought of the important issues:

"Q: If I buy a Loox 710 or 720 from Clove (or any other UK store) will the power supply work in the US, will the operating system be a US one, will the warranty work in the US?
A: Yes to all. There is only one English OS for all of us - American, Canadian, British, Australian etc. Clove have confirmed to us that the Loox 710 and 720 do indeed carry a full international warranty. The Loox 700 range has a dual voltage power supply and so will work just fine in the USA. Clove are checking whether a US adaptor will ship in the box - if not you will simply need a cheap plug adaptor."

Old 09-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Doug Raeburn
Review Coordinator Emeritus

Well, you convinced me... I just submitted my order. In the case that a US AC adapter isn't shipped, do you know what style of UK connector is used on the adapter provided, so I can get the necessary plug converter?

Update - Never mind... I just found out thru the pictures on the Firstloox site... it's the big ol' 3-pronger.

Now if we can just find out if they are including a US adapter... :?:

Old 09-06-2004, 04:07 PM
jonathanchoo
Theorist

Expansys has the 710 for GBP337 and the 720 for GBP442 8O But they do have a low price promise policy which is good.

Interestingly they seem to have the 720 soon in stock. The estimate availability is one day and Expansys are usually accurate in their stock info.

400quid for the 720 is pretty good for a new high end PDA. I remember that the h4150 debuted at 450. It took a good six months before it went down to 250 and that is my target price for the next gen PPC.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:29 PM
acetuk
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to acetuk

Something to add about Expansys - I already have a pre-order on with them for the hx4700 but did see Loox available in one day.

So I called them up today to see if they had any news about 'my' hx4700 (when I ordered it last week I was told stock was expected to arrive to them on 15th September, delivery to me the day after). I was told point blank that no delivery date was available and there was basically no way I could have been told that I would have it next week.

I was also told that the Loox is expected any day now but they don't know exactly when.

I then called Clove and was told that the Loox is available Tuesday next week and the hx4700 in two weeks time. The man at Clove was very helpful... so much so that I am now about to cancel my Expansys order and place an order with Clove.

I just don't know if it will be for the HP or the Loox!?!

Old 09-06-2004, 06:08 PM
kaitanium
Theorist

so 339 (i assume thats pounds right?) is roughly about $602 USD here? thats quite hefty if its true...ill wait for the dell x50

Old 09-06-2004, 06:16 PM
mvv_hyd
Pupil

If I'm ordering from US...... I think I don't have to pay VAT... am I right? Then the price would come down to �339 which is about $600........ better than HP4700......

Old 09-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Doug Raeburn

I was actually waiting for the Asus A730w which is supposed to be out by the end of October. I hadn't looked at the LOOX very closely until I saw this news story. After I checked it out, I decided to go with it, largely because 1) it's available now (hopefully that won't change) and 2) it's very close in size to my iPAQ 2215, while the Asus is quite a bit thicker.

The only concern that I've since developed is that it seems that many of the aftermarket vendors that I usually use for accessories and the like don't seem to have supported any models of LOOX in the past. I've already checked PDA Panache and EB Cases, and neither of them have anything for any model of LOOX. So I may have to settle for different accessories.

BTW, my order showed VAT, but they didn't do the conversion from pounds to US dollars yet, so maybe they take it off when they do so.

Update - I checked again and I was wrong... when I specified USA as the region, the VAT dropped off. The additional figure was the shipping charge, not VAT. Anyway, it came to �363 with shipping, which converts to $646 at today's exchange rate.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:10 PM
arnage2
Oracle

600 seems steep. ill wait for a asus a730w or x50

Old 09-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Doug Raeburn

x50 price is unknown at this time. A730w is expected to be at least $600, as is 4705. If you want the full boat unit with VGA, lots of memory and both forms of wireless, I think that's the ballpark you're going to be in, unless Dell decides to undercut everyone else. You can probably wait for the unit that does what you'd like, but I doubt that the prices will be much different even if you do.

Frankly, I wish Fujitsu and Asus would can the camera and drop the price. I already have a cell phone that takes mediocre pictures... I don't need another device to do the same. Since I'm big into photography, I doubt that any of these little add-in cameras will be useful enough for anything other than the occasional "emergency" picture. For regular use, no way.

Old 09-06-2004, 09:51 PM
newst
Intellectual

I work for an employer that forbids cameras for security reasons, and I've read that the number of companies adopting that policy is increasing. Since I wouldn't pay $100 for a PPC that I couldn't bring to work, let alone $600, a number of PPC manufacturers are "golly gee" featuring me, and many others, right out of their customer lists.

Besides, I have an excellent Casio Exilim 4mp camera that's less than half the size of my PPC. Why would I want to pay more for a PPC that takes bad pictures?