Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 09-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default How Important is WiFi to You?

I was thinking about WiFi in Pocket PCs, and I was curious to see how important you felt WiFi was as a factor in your next Pocket PC purchase. Please note that I'm not asking if you prefer WiFi over Bluetooth, or another technology. This is simply a question of whether or not WiFi as a feature is important to you in your decision of which Pocket PC to buy. Since there are no 802.11g solutions yet, assume that I'm talking about 802.11b.

Old 09-03-2004, 03:08 PM
piperpilot
Sage

WIFI is a critical application for me. I use it at home to avoid having to go down to my office in the basement to surf the web, and I use it at work to answer e-mails and entertain myself during long, boring staff meetings. I also increasingly use it at hotels, airports and other locations to keep on top of e-mail and news while I am traveling.

Old 09-03-2004, 03:10 PM
mhskateboarder
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to mhskateboarder Send a message via MSN to mhskateboarder

i live on campus when i am at school and i use wifi all the time. a good example is on my way to class yesterday. i had forgotten what room my class was in when i was already half way there. since most of campus has a wifi signal, i just pulled out my pda and looked it up as i was walking. i can also take notes during class and then sync them to my desktop over the network. i gotta have my wifi!

Old 09-03-2004, 03:17 PM
collegea
Pupil

No WIFI, no Pocket PC. It is as simple as that. I initially only bought my IPAQ 4155 for the built in Wifi.

Wifi makes Pocket PC great.

To spend $400 for a Pocket PC without Wifi would be a waste of my money.

Old 09-03-2004, 03:20 PM
timbur
Pupil

I can't vote in either this or the bluetooth poll - both are essential to me & I have BT & WiFi CF cards - I won't buy a ppc without a CF slot

Can we have a poll on this please? :twisted:

Old 09-03-2004, 03:24 PM
dma1965
Thinker

Ever since WiFi made it to my Pocket PC Via the 4155, I no longer bother with booting up my laptop at home. What is really cool is getting that 7:30 AM phone call about a network problem and being able to use VNC or Terminal Services to connect to work and fix the problem, all with a pocket pc while still lying in bed. WiFi rules!

Old 09-03-2004, 04:06 PM
pr0vider
Ponderer

I voted neither for or against; I'm ambivalent about wifi at this time because the 3.5" screen on my Ipaq 2215 causes me eye strain when viewed for extensive periods.

Maybe when VGA becomes the de facto standard on all new models I'll reconsider... :?

Old 09-03-2004, 04:10 PM
surur
Mystic

I voted neither here not there. I would really like wifi, but if my next pocketpcphone has 3G and VGA and Bluetooth, but no wifi, I would still buy it, as wifi is easily added via SD card (whereas something like 3G is not )

So yes, it would be very desirable, but I would not turn down the XDA IV if it had 3G, 624Mhz, VGA, megapixel camera and bluetooth, but no wifi.

Surur

Old 09-03-2004, 04:23 PM
The Yaz
Thinker

I agree with timbur, wifi is inportant to me but it is not necessary that it is intergated into the pda. I've made do with a wifi cf card for the last two PocketPCs, and as long as my next choice has a cf slot I am good to go.

Steve 8)

Old 09-03-2004, 04:26 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Looks like I'm in the minority, here. Wi-Fi is a nice to have, but not have to have for me. I rarely use it for anything but syncing my PPC. It seems if I'm out somewhere where I would use WiFi, I have my laptop as well, and it just makes more sense to me to use that instead.

However, don't take away my bluetooth!!!