Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Minor ROM Update For iPAQ 5500 Series

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/21700.html

HP has released a ROM update for specific issues and they did it in the form of an XIP update, which means it won't (or shouldn't) totally erase your device's memory requiring you to reinstall all of your apps! :clap: Currently English and German are available. I expect other languages will follow shortly.

Fixes include:
� Corrects an issue where the Dual-Slot PC Card Expansion Pack does not initialize after a soft reset when two PCMCIA cards are installed.
� Corrects issue where some SDIO cards were not recognized after Suspend/Resume or soft reset.
� Corrects issue where the handheld did not enter Suspend mode if select SDIO cards were present.
� Corrects issue where some SDIO cards continued to draw power while in Suspend mode.

Note that you must have the full ROM update SP27674 on your device to use this XIP update. If you don't, install that first, which will require a hard reset, then get this update.

Old 09-01-2004, 03:34 PM
that_kid
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to that_kid

I wonder why they didn't include the latest wlan driver in this update. It's great to see the use of XIP upgrades though.

Old 09-01-2004, 03:51 PM
buckyg
Thinker

Yes, I wish they would have put the WLAN and some of the other updates in, too. Would help free up a little memory and make things easier in case of a hard-reset or you want to rebuild it from scratch. Oh, well...

I do also appreciate that they haven't totally abandoned support of "older" machines.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:17 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Has anyone tried this yet? Does it wipe out data?

Old 09-02-2004, 04:38 PM
buckyg
Thinker

I've installed it, no problems. Since it's an XIP update, it did not wipe everything out. I have not noticed any differences so far...

This update does give you a decent time estimate, too, which is nice. Beats wondering if anything is happening

Old 09-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

OK I just installed it. Worked fine for me also. No data loss.