Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 08-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket Informant 5.2 Available

http://www.pocketinformant.com/whatsnew.php?type=pocketinformant&version=520

Pocket Informant 5.2 sports a completely revamped Notes View providing robust support for Outlook Notes in any number of folders and storage cards, PhatWare's PhatNotes and PhatPad products, and Sound files complete with the ability to search the contents of all notes. As well users will find a plethora of improvements in the Month View, Tasks, Editors, Journaling, and the user interface.

As usual, there are tons of minor tweaks, fixes and improvements! Pocket Informant 5.2 is free to all 5.x owners, or you can buy it for $24.95, which includes a free version of Phatware's PhatNotes Lite. Alex is also giving away WebIS Money for Pocket Informant users.

Old 08-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Jereboam
Philosopher

Just to say that the new notes integration works well (PhatPad integration is great - finding ink notes previously quickly was a bit of a hassle, although they can't be edited natively) and being given a free copy of PhatNotes Lite (and Money) must make this one of the very best Pocket PC software buys around.

Combine it with the subscriber discount and it's even more of a winner.

Note that PhatPad 2.0 beta is also out with a desktop client, and I can confirm it works just fine...

J'bm

Old 08-16-2004, 02:09 PM
robeauch
Neophyte
Default Re: Pocket Informant 5.2 Available

There's been an unheralded, but noteworthy, improvement to their documentation as well. In the 5.2 Reference Guide, the "Options Dialog" section has expanded from the original page-and-a-half of cursory descriptions ("Calendar: Options that apply only to the Calendar View") to nearly seven pages of nicely detailed explanations of practically every customizable item.

Yeah, I'm one of those people that reads the manual. You got a problem with that? :wink:

Old 08-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Jereboam
Philosopher

Hah! Funny...I just snagged the manual to read through as well...got to the point where I am really wringing every tiny option out in PI....

J'bm

Old 08-16-2004, 07:09 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

You should read this too guys

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...84b63e83f18a32[/url]

Old 08-16-2004, 07:30 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

I must be very old now. I still like v5.01 better than v5.2.

By the way, I have more than 200 notes in HPC notes. Assigning a new catagory to each note for PI is the last thing I want to do. Anybody have a better idea how to do it in fewer clicks? thanks

Something I just don't understand. PI gives out Phatnotes lite free from v5.2. Am I the only person who found that Phatnotes lite is much better than PI notes? Will the phatnotes lite giving away hurt PI's sale if most people choose use phatnotes not PI?

Old 08-16-2004, 08:07 PM
alex_kac
Thinker

Tell us how PhatNotes Lite is better than PI Notes in 5.2. Please We want to work with PhatNotes to become the best Notes editor on the Pocket PC bar none. 5.2 is a huge a step towards that, though there are a few things I still want to do that we didn't do for 5.2.

But please, I do want to know where we fail so we can improve.

Old 08-16-2004, 08:09 PM
Lucifer
Neophyte
Default Does Pocket Informant 5.2 actually include PhatNotes Lite?

I've not found evidence of PhatNotes Lite being included in Pocket Informant 5.2. I've checked WebIS's site, Handango and Pocketgear. Unless someone can provide a link to a WebIS-authored feature list that says PI now includes PhatNotes Lite, I think people should be skeptical of this statement.

Old 08-16-2004, 08:10 PM
alex_kac
Thinker

Its in the installer and the announcements we sent to all the news sites.

Pocket Informant 5.2 comes with PhatNotes for PI (a variation of PhatNotes Lite) for free. A large part of this is to highlight the excellent integration of PhatNotes with PI 5.2.

Old 08-16-2004, 08:40 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_kac
Tell us how PhatNotes Lite is better than PI Notes in 5.2. Please We want to work with PhatNotes to become the best Notes editor on the Pocket PC bar none. 5.2 is a huge a step towards that, though there are a few things I still want to do that we didn't do for 5.2.

But please, I do want to know where we fail so we can improve.

Maybe I didn't use PI v5.2 very well.

1. I can't open my password-enabled hpc notes in PI.
2. HPC notes has a much better interface. Sorting by color, catrgory and priority is very useful.
3. Unless PI is running at background, launching HPC notes is still about 2 times faster than PI in h2210 ROM1.1
4. HPC notes can display the catagory generated from PI, but PI can't display the catagory generated from HPC notes.