Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 08-13-2004, 07:00 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default FirstLoox.org: V3.0 Launch! Giveaway! Loox 720 Review!

http://firstloox.org/index.php?categoryid=1

Our friends over at FirstLoox.org today have launched version 3.0 of their excellent site. This wasn't something Duncan carefully planned for a long time, but the benificiary side effect of recovering from an attack by hackers on the old site.

"Behind the scenes we have been busy working on a full top-to-toe redesign of the site. The new look of the site is largely due to the sterling graphical work of our resident moderator and logo designer Jorlin. Meanwhile we have a whole set of new sections (a little empty at the moment but not for long) and an upgraded forum."

Next to that, they have a giveaway where you can win 38 prizes. Ooohhh.... free stuff! And if that isn't enough.... they have a full fledged review of the Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox 720. I don't know about you, but of all the newly announced Pocket PCs with a VGA screen, based on the specs alone this was the one I was looking forward to the most. And although Duncan is not afraid to mention the quirks, there's obviously tons of stuff to like.

"In a nutshell - I'm impressed. No issues (none of my few niggles are actually dealbreaking issues), no problems, everything has behaved and done exactly as it is supposed to, even the wireless has behaved perfectly. If there are any bugs to be found, they are certainly buried deep."

Reading the review, so am I (....looks carefully around to see if girlfriend is looking....) I really am.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster

Yea, I was browsing this in bed earlier today... definitely has me excited about the new Loox (and I'm trying to find out if Siemens employees will get discounts on them, if so, it's a definite deal). One complaint about the site, though, is that there's no PDA version yet. It's not atrocious on Pocket IE, but it's definitely not friendly.

Thumbs up for FirstLoox.org :clap:

Old 08-13-2004, 07:14 PM
rzanology
Sage

hmmmm....650 is alot to pay for the new hx4700. How much is this? I might be jumping ship!!!! just need a half a$$ price and im there. Any disadvantages this device has over the 4700?

Old 08-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzanology
hmmmm....650 is alot to pay for the new hx4700. How much is this? I might be jumping ship!!!! just need a half a$$ price and im there. Any disadvantages this device has over the 4700?
I've been searching, and it seems there's no real official price in USD yet. As far as disadvantages, right now, the only proof would be in numbers, so check out FirstLoox's VGA PPC guide. Notice the 4700 has a faster processor and more ROM (less RAM). I think the USB Host of the Loox makes up for that, though...

Old 08-13-2004, 07:24 PM
jpjehu
Intellectual

The processor is faster on the 4700 - but does anyone know the benefits of the PXA272 versus the PXA270? Intel makes it sound like the 272 is the stronger unit with some dedicated (?) parts. Also, does anyone have any idea the price, even though there are no USD sites?

Old 08-13-2004, 07:37 PM
seaflipper
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjehu
The processor is faster on the 4700 - but does anyone know the benefits of the PXA272 versus the PXA270? Intel makes it sound like the 272 is the stronger unit with some dedicated (?) parts. Also, does anyone have any idea the price, even though there are no USD sites?
The 720 is going to cost about $720 (funny how that worked). The link posted said it's going to be e579, so thats about $720 if you bought it from Europe.

Fujitsu Siemens might have a different price if they sell in the US directly, but does anyone know if they are going to do that?

Old 08-13-2004, 07:47 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

The Loox would definitely be on the top of my wish list if I thought there was any chance of it being available in the US sometime in the near future.

Big difference between this and the HX4700 is the size. Some will prefer the 4" screen of the HP, while some (like me) will want the smaller form factor of the Loox. The Loox also seems to provide a bit more user accessible memory, even when factoring in the 80 MB file store. However, I'll probably buy the HX4700 since I "think" it will be available sooner. Can always EBay it if I happen upon an opportunity to acquire the Loox.

The new FirstLoox site looks great BTW. :clap:

Old 08-13-2004, 07:50 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus

You might also want to check Expansys. They're probably not very cheap, but they do have their USA store.

Old 08-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Duncan
Pontificator
Default Re: FirstLoox.org: V3.0 Launch! Giveaway! Loox 720 Review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlof Bregonje
And although Duncan is not afraid to mention the quirks, there's obviously tons of stuff to like.
Ah - an intensive couple of days but yesterday, with three Bluetooth devices connected, listening to stuff being piped into the Loox by my Muvo and from there straight to my BT headset, while connected to the net via BT and GPRS, ActiveSync'ing via BT and downloading a file from the laptop upstairs over WiFi - then just for the hell of it starting to program the remote control and testing the range of the IR... that was just...

Geek paradise...! (let's face it - the odds of ever needing to do that in everyday life are slight - but it is so good to know that I *can*).

Old 08-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaflipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjehu
The 720 is going to cost about $720 (funny how that worked). The link posted said it's going to be e579, so thats about $720 if you bought it from Europe.

Fujitsu Siemens might have a different price if they sell in the US directly, but does anyone know if they are going to do that?
In theory anything bought from Europe (by someone outside of Europe) can be bought without VAT (sales tax of c. 15 - 20%). that would make a dollar equivalent of c. $600