Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian
Default New Web-Based MSN Messenger

http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2014

Okay, maybe this isn't really "off-topic," but Carlo Guerrero at PPCW.Net has this "public service announcement" about a new way to use MSN Messenger:

"This news has been going around for a while now. But finally we can all try out MSN Web Messenger. I went to the website after seeing Paul of MoDaCo sporting a new MSN Messenger icon. So what is MSN Web Messenger? This is what the MSN Web Messenger homepage had to say about it.

"MSN Web Messenger lets you talk online and in real-time with friends and family using just a web browser! Use it on any shared computer - at school, at work, at a friend's house or anywhere you can't install the MSN Messenger software."

This could be pretty handy at times when you're using a shared PC, like at school or at conferences. You still need a Passport (or reasonable facsimile), but at least this lets you send messages with a PC that doesn't have the regular client software installed. Carlo does a really great job describing how this version of Messenger works, and his article at PPCW.Net has plenty of screen shots.

Maybe somebody can answer a question about this, though. I know that some businesses do not allow or block the use of regular messaging clients, like MSN Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger or Yahoo! Messenger. Wouldn't this Web-based version allow employees to sidestep those blocks?

Old 08-10-2004, 11:17 AM
ChristopherTD
Thinker

It worked at my work site where they are pretty severe about locking out these things. I guess WebSense will lower the boom shortly but at the moment it works through the proxy.

(most of the blocking is performed by WebSense prohibiting access to certain sites)

Old 08-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Arne Hess
Thinker
Default Re: New Web-Based MSN Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
Maybe somebody can answer a question about this, though. I know that some businesses do not allow or block the use of regular messaging clients, like MSN Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger or Yahoo! Messenger. Wouldn't this Web-based version allow employees to sidestep those blocks?
Yep, same here as for "ChristopherTD". I can use it on my office PC where I'm not allowed to install anything (because of Admin rights) or if I was able to install it, I wasn't able to connect with the MSN server because of all the firewalls, proxies, etc.
The web stuff is working well and proper! :-)

Old 08-10-2004, 11:31 AM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

How is this news, when www.e-messenger.net has been around for longer? :?

EDIT: had www.e-messenger.com before. It should be .net

Old 08-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixdd
How is this news, when www.e-messenger.com has been around for longer? :?
I've been using http://www.phonefox.com for the last little while. However this is news because these clients are not official Microsoft clients. http://webmessenger.msn.com/ is a Microsoft official web based messenger.

I'll have to stick with using a third party, since webmessenger is already blocked

Old 08-10-2004, 12:40 PM
popabawa
Intellectual

Sweeet! Working fine here inside my (very severe) corporate network

Old 08-10-2004, 12:40 PM
rpvdb
Neophyte

Does not seem to be supported (yet?) from the standard WM2003 IE window.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:00 PM
wocket
Thinker
Default Re: New Web-Based MSN Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian

"MSN Web Messenger lets you talk online and in real-time with friends and family using just a web browser! Use it on any shared computer - at school, at work, at a friend's house or anywhere you can't install the MSN Messenger software."[/i]
Checking........... Yep it's blocked in our school thank goodness. There is nothing more destracting for the kids than MSN Messenger. And nothing more frustrating for a teacher who does'nt know whats going on.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:03 PM
wocket
Thinker

Quote:
Hi Felixdd

Is your link correct? I tried and got nothing.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocket
Quote:
Hi Felixdd

Is your link correct? I tried and got nothing.
Sounds like you're looking to check that all web based chat clients are blocked. :wink: E-Messenger is .Net and not .com. http://www.e-messenger.net

As well, you might want to check out this story on Geekzone from a couple weeks back. They list a couple web based clients. You a couple more are listed on this post I made on SPT.