Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Mars 2145 AD: PDA's DOOMed

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/d...ew_6103861.html

In a recent thread Szamot pointed out that DOOM 3 makes use of a PDA as part of the overall storyline. This Gamespot review gives more details of how it works:

"Adding to the adventure-game feel in Doom 3 is your marine's PDA, which you can call up at any time with the Tab key. This PDA keeps track of e-mails, audio recordings, and video files available to your own character. More importantly, the PDA can also store the same sorts of data contained in other characters' PDAs, which you'll find scattered around the base. These e-mails and audio recordings seem to serve a dual function: First, they help to flesh out the storyline and atmosphere, in the style of, say, Resident Evil or System Shock 2; and second, they often contain passcodes or hints that you'll need to progress to the next area. You can get into and out of the PDA, listen to recordings, and read e-mails expeditiously. We don't expect that the use of this device will significantly hinder the flow of Doom 3's action."

So, email, MP3s, Video clips, personal information storage, high speed access to data and network enabled. Yup, that's a pocket PC all right. :lol: Good to see that in the future HP have come to their senses and are making PPCs that looks like the iPAQ 5550 series again. :wink: That's the closest I plan to come to Doom 3, because I really don't like watching horror films, let alone 'participating' in one. 8O

Old 08-06-2004, 11:36 PM
paris
Intellectual

is it a VGA pocket pc? or is it QVGA? lol lol Doom 3 is briliant

Old 08-06-2004, 11:45 PM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

Unfortunately it obviously doesn't run any OS devised by microsoft...you can't even play solitaire on it!

Old 08-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Kowalski
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski

which one is more important? playing solitarie or saving the universe? 8)

Old 08-07-2004, 12:04 AM
dean_shan
Mystic

Link to previous thread on same topic.

Old 08-07-2004, 01:41 AM
DiGiTYZED
Intellectual

is there a proggie out there that allows to add my own image as a splash screen or screen saver? like a image pops up when coming out of sleep/suspend mode or pops up when it's idle

Old 08-07-2004, 03:00 AM
Mitch D
Sage

Personally I think the user interface on the Marine Issue PDA is rather interesting, not to mention rather userfriendly. But then again that's just my 2 cents...

I wonder if HP is paying attention... naahhh... most likely not...

Old 08-07-2004, 03:35 AM
rmasinag
Theorist

I tried playing with the settings on this PDA, but unfortunately I kept on getting jumped by imps with flames flying from their hands :mrgreen:

D3 rules!!!

Old 08-07-2004, 05:09 AM
IpaqMan2
Theorist

I need to comment on this....

I've been playing Doom 3 and must say that I tottaly love the way they intergrated the PDA into the the theme of the story. I Persoanlly WISH that PDAs were that much commonly used in every day life buy everyday people. Being able to to send voice logs, or messages to one another, email which is already being done with PDAs as well as Video.

I think it was a real nice touch for the game makers to incorperate such technology into the game.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:10 AM
FortimirCE
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to FortimirCE Send a message via AIM to FortimirCE Send a message via MSN to FortimirCE Send a message via Yahoo to FortimirCE

I just find it interesting how, after what seemed like a lull in the PDA industry for some time, now PDAs are popping up in mainstream again. Doom3, The Bourne Supremacy, hell, the entire movie "Little Black Book" revolves around a PPC.

I really hope the community gets a much-needed bump.