Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 08-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default mySmartPhone Previews The Qtek 9090, Aka XDA III

http://www.mysmartphone.no/modules....order=0&thold=0

The "XDA III", an upcoming Pocket PC phone with both an integrated slide-out thumbboard, Bluetooth, and WiFi, has been previewed by mySmartPhone. The article is in Norwegian, so if any of our Norwegian readers want to translate juicy bits or point us to a Norwegian-to-English machine translation, please feel free to help out and post below. For the rest of us, there are a ton of photos, including many alongside the XDA II:

It appears to be a little thicker than an XDA II, but is otherwise almost identical in dimensions. :drool: The only nit I have is the lack of an integrated flip cover... I'd love to see one on a Pocket PC Phone Edition, but I'm still waiting. :|

Update: Here's a link to an English translation. Thanks, Duncan!

Old 08-06-2004, 07:11 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Translation

For future reference - eveyone should have this bookmarked: http://translation.langenberg.com/ - it is a page collecting together all the major translation services (whole pages, words, sections, language identifiers). I've yet to find a language that isn't covered by one of them...

Old 08-06-2004, 07:58 PM
JohnJohn
Thinker

This is the untimate device for me. Thumbboard, BTm Wifi. Does anyone know when it will be over her in the US?

Thanks,

Old 08-06-2004, 09:19 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJohn
This is the untimate device for me. Thumbboard, BTm Wifi. Does anyone know when it will be over her in the US?
It will probably have to be imported, like the XDA II. American carriers can't be bothered supporting complicated devcies such as this. :roll:

So probably a couple of months after our Euro friends have it, and if you think the 4705 is expensive, don't even bother thinking about this one.

I love the specs, love all those buttons, love the thumboard. Wish it had a faster processor, and the dream machine would have VGA. But, if you look up ugly in the dictionary you'll find a picture of this phone. :twisted:

What did they do to the speaker and why?

Old 08-06-2004, 09:27 PM
alexm
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJohn

Thanks,
Same here! If you find it - please let us know!

Old 08-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Nikhil
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to Nikhil

Seeing as the original XDA II is still upwards of $800 and started at someting like $1,000, I expect this to cost as imported around $1,200...which is insane...and yet I still want one.

Old 08-06-2004, 11:06 PM
dhpss
Intellectual

I went down to Microsoft office in Irvine, CA, last night and had opportunity to play with both iPaq 6300 (brought in by a T-Mobile rep) and this XDA II (brought in by a Microsoft employee). The XDA offers a very good design and feel compared to the iPaq. Only problem with this XDA is the lack of WiFi and the seamless integration GPRS/GSM/WiFi/BT like the iPaq. Even the XDA II is thicker but the round shape seems to provide a very good feel in your hands and the robustness too.
The XDA also has a much better memory implementation.

The iPaq 6300 with the provided thumb keyboard is very cumbersome next to the XDA. ..

Old 08-07-2004, 02:52 AM
Ryan Joseph
Philosopher

I absolutely can't wait for this device. I know I won't be able to afford it, but I still can't wait. It's just so incredibly cool. That integrated keyboard would be awesome to say the least.

And I don't think the speaker looks that bad. Plus there's the fact that it has 8 hardware buttons if you count the camera and speaker. 8O

But hey, the banks are there longing to loan out money, why not take them up on it? :lol:

Old 08-07-2004, 03:28 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I agree with every single word of your post.

Old 08-07-2004, 04:18 AM
powder2000
Thinker

Um, doesn't anyone else notice the yellow (supposed to be white) screen?
:? Is this made by the same manufacturers of the 1945? Otherwise, looks sweet!