Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Thoughts Site Updates

Old 07-31-2004, 10:00 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Bsquare Stop Power Handheld Production

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/0...qaure_drops_ph/

We've posted a few times about the Bsquare Power Handheld (PH) Windows CE .net wireless PDA. However, the Register brings news that Bsquare are to stop making the Power Handheld device altogether. Instead the company will try to licence the hardware design and the application & utility software to OEMs.

"Essentially, Bsquare suffered the fate that overcomes many hardware start-ups - it simply couldn't sell enough units to cover the ongoing development and manufacturing costs and to deliver lower end-user pricing over time. It's a shame - the PH has its flaws, but it remains a solid alternative to too-small PDAs and too-large notebooks. The demise of the PH leaves the handheld PC leaves the market open to the likes of Tiqit, OQO and FlipStart. HP too is said to be pondering a return to the handheld PC market."

So, one less Windows CE device then. :? Guess that leaves the field clear for the rest. We've heard rumours about HP coming back into the HPC market and it would be good if something came from it. I miss my clamshell PDAs....... :cry:

Old 07-31-2004, 10:54 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I wasn't even aware that you could BUY one of these things? I thought BSqaure was partnering with OEMs and selling them this design...

Old 07-31-2004, 10:55 PM
jkendrick
Thinker

bSquare was only selling them in Europe. It runs Windows CE .NET, though, not WinXP.

Old 07-31-2004, 11:13 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

You are quite correct Jkendrick. I re-read the original Register review and realised that I had just trusted the Register when they said:

Quote:
The unit sports a high-quality 640 x 480 display and runs the embedded version of Windows XP
I should have checked a little better, or remembered what we posted months ago. ops: Cheers for the pointer.

Old 08-01-2004, 02:01 AM
whatsnext?
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to whatsnext?

yeah that stinks that they are discontinuing this device. i would never want one(ok maybe if i had the money but i am happy with my 4155.
it looked cool. i hope HP does go back into the HPC market, cause i love most of there devices. it would almost make me want to buy one!

Old 08-01-2004, 02:41 AM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
yeah that stinks that they are discontinuing this device.
Not really. It was slow (odd delays to menus opening etc.) and badly designed (very awkward to hold with the keyboard extended). Not running PPC OS was a major error as well...

Old 08-01-2004, 08:07 AM
The PocketTV Team
Thinker

That's not a surprise at all.

There was virtually no third-party software available for this device, and probably very few hardware/peripherals supported for lack of driver.

What surprises me is that Bsquare even tried to commercialize such a device.

Old 08-01-2004, 04:26 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

Huh. I thought it was running WinCE, not WinXP. Oh well, either way it's a shame it's being discontinued.

Old 08-01-2004, 10:44 PM
The PocketTV Team
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Reed
Huh. I thought it was running WinCE, not WinXP. Oh well, either way it's a shame it's being discontinued.
It was running WinCE.