Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-20-2004, 08:35 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default Really Darn Cheap 512 MB SD Cards: $61 With Mail-In Rebate

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/det...asp?DPNo=295990

Friends, I have a dream, and in that dream I am using 512 MB SD cards as shingles on a house I've made for my hamster out of cereal boxes. The dream ends when giant cornflakes attempt to eat my shoes, which is probably just as well. At any rate, this is the lowest price I've seen for SD cards of this size, bringing my dream that much closer to reality. It looks like they're throwing free shipping into the bargain as well, so if you're in the market, or if you just like to buy things on impulse (darn you, Flowbee!), you should probably check this out. As of now (12:30am PST), eCost is reporting ONLY 83 hours and 30 minutes left for this offer, but I have the sneaking suspicion that the "Bargain Countdown" clock means absolutely nothing whatsoever. Personally, I think I'm doing fine with my two 256 MB SD cards. How about you? Does this tempt you?

Old 07-20-2004, 09:02 AM
ADBrown
Pontificator
Default Re: Really Darn Cheap 512 MB SD Cards: $61 With Mail-In Rebate

Yes, the countdown clock is bogus, as is the inventory counter, and the 'free shipping' claim--just add $4 handling! Still, it is a good deal. However, I'm going to stick with my 256 MB SD and 256 MB CF while waiting for prices to go down a bit further--then I'm going to buy a 512 MB SD and 1 GB CF.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:03 AM
beq
Oracle

Darnit don't tempt us like this

I'm trying to stick to my earlier resolution to only buy high-speed MMC or SD cards going forward...

P.S. Totally unrelated, I would really love to get a portable SD/MMC keychain reader akin to the original SanDisk Cruzer, updated with USB 2.0 and much smaller size. If not possible then I'd settle for supporting RS-MMC or Mini SD instead.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Oleander
Ponderer

Dang!

Why don't we ever get theese offers in europe?

Btw, being from europe I really don't understand the concept of mail-in rebate, how does it work? When you recieve your item, do you then get a coupon to send in? And then what? Do you receive a cheque to the amount or what?

Old 07-20-2004, 09:47 AM
mscdex
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander
Btw, being from europe I really don't understand the concept of mail-in rebate, how does it work? When you recieve your item, do you then get a coupon to send in? And then what? Do you receive a cheque to the amount or what?
Usually when you receive the item in the mail, you print out the rebate form online or if you got it in a store, they might have it in a rebate book (like Officemax does) where in that case you can just tear it out. Then you fill out the rebate form, cut out the UPC/Bar code from the box of the item, and make a copy of both the upc code and the receipt. Then mail the rebate form and the 2 copies (upc code and receipt). Then in about 6-8 weeks or whenever they get it to you, you get a check in the mail from the manufacturer (usually, sometimes the actual retailer as well).

I'm a rebate-a-holic

Old 07-20-2004, 10:46 AM
scargill
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscdex
Then in about 6-8 weeks or whenever they get it to you, you get a check in the mail from the manufacturer (usually, sometimes the actual retailer as well).
Doesn't it just make more work for the manufacturers or the retailers? In the UK they just make things cheaper!! The only reason I can see for mail-in rebates is that some stupid people will forget to "mail-in" their rebate and therefore the company won't loose money on that person. Can anyone expand?

Old 07-20-2004, 10:53 AM
snowlion
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scargill
The only reason I can see for mail-in rebates is that some stupid people will forget to "mail-in" their rebate and therefore the company won't loose money on that person.
that's precisely the point!

when in the store/web...person sees $20 off and suddenly something you would not normally get looks pretty good. you buy it and of course pay taxes on the whole thing. then i read somwhere, close to 50% of these rebates are either not sent in/or without proper form/couons - so voided.

i've actually had some instances where the money was never sent at all - of course by that time i'd forgotton what it was, where it was sent to and the amount.

it's a sales gimmick that seems to work.

Old 07-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Bruno Figueiredo
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Bruno Figueiredo

Also, that way they have your address anc can send you all sorts of junk. In Europe we don't have coupons or that kind of rebates. Usually the prices are in promotion.

At Staples, what they use to do is on a given day, say tuesday the 23rd, you can get, say a printer at 20% off. They do this in supermarkets too. At Wednesdays all the meats are the same price (say $1.50 per pound).

Old 07-20-2004, 01:16 PM
foldedspace
Thinker

I've stopped doing rebates, unless they are 'instant'. Who wants to wait 8 weeks for their money, hoping they don't reject it for no good reason?

Old 07-20-2004, 01:30 PM
lapchinj
Thinker
Default Re: Really Darn Cheap 512 MB SD Cards: $61 With Mail-In Rebate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Logsdon
... but I have the sneaking suspicion that the "Bargain Countdown" clock means absolutely nothing whatsoever...
Yeah, I don't think so either. I just received their catalog in the mail yesterday and they list all their "HOT" items and how much time is left before they turn "COLD" :roll: . I would say that to be able to figure that out while putting together a catalog is pretty neat (scary also). But it just goes to show you what companies can do with a crystal ball. I'm sure that other companies will want to tap into their talent pool :wink:.

Jeff-