Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Verizon To Deliver High-Speed Fiber To Homes

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...02212741&EDATE=

"Verizon customers in Keller, Texas, soon will be the first to receive groundbreaking high-speed Internet services over Verizon's fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network. The company is raising the bar on consumer broadband today by introducing data speeds of up to 30 megabits-per-second (Mbps) in Keller later this summer and in other markets later this year. Prices start at $34.95 per month."

30Mbps? Fiber!? Wow. Suddenly my ~ 2Mbps cable modem at home feels really slow. 8O

Old 07-19-2004, 11:35 PM
arnage2
Oracle

man. 10x faster than comcast. I wonder how long it will take for them to bring it to the chicago area?

Old 07-19-2004, 11:36 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic
Default Re: Verizon To Deliver High-Speed Fiber To Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
30Mbps? Fiber!? Wow. Suddenly my ~ 2Mbps cable modem at home feels really slow. 8O
Yeah but what's it capped at? No way they will allow 30Mbps transfers.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:48 PM
bkerrins
Intellectual

Palo Alto Ca is running tests on FTTP also. The only problem is that it will have to be voted on by the City Council which is famous for taken a 10 minute decision and turning it into a 5 year committee/project.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Mark Johnson
Theorist
Default Re: Verizon To Deliver High-Speed Fiber To Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
Yeah but what's it capped at? No way they will allow 30Mbps transfers.
That's the problem for sure. The real-world throughput will be much lower. However, this is still a very good thing if only because it will beat the pricing down on the "plain vanilla" DSL and cable broadband service.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:40 AM
corphack
Ponderer

Verizon to run fibre to my home in NYC? First they should learn to run and maintain copper correctly. Their line-people (gotta use that diversity training somewhere...) are still learning to use punch-down knives without cracking the core.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:02 AM
beq
Oracle

Hey, I'm a Verizon local customer in TX -- gimme gimme

Quote:
Maximum connection speeds and pricing for Fios consumer services are:
* 5 Mbps/2 Mbps for $34.95 a month as part of a calling package, or
$39.95 a month stand-alone
* 15 Mbps/2 Mbps for $44.95 a month as part of a calling package, or
$49.95 a month stand-alone
* 30 Mbps/5 Mbps at pricing to be announced later
That is not bad at all! I'm paying $44.95 a month for Road Runner (I think current cap is almost 3Mbps down, 384Kbps up). And the local access infrastructure should still be point-to-point unlike cable...

Interesting to read about Verizon's MSN Premium bundling which I'm not familiar with. Is it just like the SBC Yahoo DSL co-branding thing where you get Yahoo Plus mail accounts (at least for the primary user)? That would mean Verizon customers will also soon get 2GB MSN mail account...

P.S. Fiber-to-the-curb has been a dream for so long. I even ran several multimode & single-mode fiber from my house demarc to my wiring closet years ago just in case...

Old 07-20-2004, 02:05 AM
ChuckyRose
Pupil
Default I don't want to rain on any parade

I have to ask, and I'm not trying to be negative, but why is DSL so slow in the states compared to other countries? Over here in Japan, the SLOWEST DSL service you can get now (with many providers) is 8Mbit. Currently in my service area, Yahoo! BB is offering 45Mbit service. Fiber has been an option for quite a while now for those who want it over here. The main advantage of fiber, while not really rated any faster is the latency. Plus, over here, most fiber plans are symmetric data rates (40Mbit up/40Mbit down). While Verizon's isn't, I'd imagine with a 5Mbit outgoing pipe to the internet with very, very, very low latency, you sure could send a LOT of data out, not all necessarily "good." (SPAM, ripped movies, DDOS etc). Oh boy. 1000 zombie computers on 512kb upstream connections is bad enough. 1000 zombie computers on 5Mbit upstream connections.... 8O

But, that doesn't change the fact that I sure wouldn't mind having a nice, high speed, low latency fiber connection at home... Yum!

Old 07-20-2004, 02:13 AM
beq
Oracle

^ I think a large factor (just like with cell tower provisioning) is the geographical differences. I mean, the continental USA is just so darn big Affecting cost/profit build-out expenditures and such I imagine.

Speaking of latency, hey I used to have a geo-sat connection 8O

Old 07-20-2004, 02:25 AM
corphack
Ponderer

Quote:
why is DSL so slow in the states compared to other countries
I want to say that the phone companies here are simply lazy, but thats too simplistic. I think it has more to do with the status of the phone service suppliers in the US vs those in Europe, etc. In the US, phone service suppliers are part of the private sector, whereas outside of the US aren't most of the phone services provided by extensions of the governmental postal agencies? I can recall having to order ISDN lines in London and Hong Kong via the post office - short-term profitability just didn't affect their work schedules. They had a 5/10-year plan for residential digital line installations; there was no line-item in their project plan labeled "Profits". In the US, if the ROI is longer than 6 months, it doesn't happen.