Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-10-2004, 02:00 AM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default Japanese Vampire Robots Want Your Blood

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/aut...ooth-017443.php

While the headline is slightly sensationalistic, it's really not that far off the mark. A Japanese company has announced an automated booth that extracts blood from your body. I have several problems with this. First of all, how exactly does it know where to stick the needle? As far as I know, everyone's veins are different. Personally, I do not want a robot playing "Find the Vein" on my arm with something pointy.

As scary as that is, the thing that bothers me the most about this device is the possibility of a software crash in the middle of the "Blood Extraction Sub-Routine". I can see it now: my marble-white cold body slumped in the booth, one arm clamped inside the machine, the other wrapped around my Pocket PC (displaying a web page on how much blood the human body holds), my face lit eerily from below by the pale blue light of the screen, which reads "Fatal Exception Error". :mrgreen:

Old 07-10-2004, 02:16 AM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

I wonder, where exactly do you stick your arm??? 8O

And why is there not a seat in there? You should at least get to be comfortable while you are examined with fish hooks and sucky tubes :lol:

Old 07-10-2004, 02:19 AM
Kati Compton
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

No more need for nurses! All your medical needs filled automatically! Just be careful when the Nurse-o-matic takes your temperature...

Old 07-10-2004, 03:27 AM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

I'm more concerned about the cleanliness of the apparatus use. How does the machine ensure sterilization? I don't think that's possible for a machine that's designed to be on the field for a prolonged period of time....

Old 07-10-2004, 03:37 AM
Simon Crow
Neophyte

I wonder what conceivable relevance this article has, to be on Pocket PC Thoughts?

Old 07-10-2004, 03:59 AM
dh
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Crow
I wonder what conceivable relevance this article has, to be on Pocket PC Thoughts?
Because we have a forum called "OFF TOPIC"?

Old 07-10-2004, 04:01 AM
dmacburry2003
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixdd
I'm more concerned about the cleanliness of the apparatus use. How does the machine ensure sterilization? I don't think that's possible for a machine that's designed to be on the field for a prolonged period of time....

It's like giving blood to a machine in a porta-potty :roll:

Old 07-10-2004, 04:05 AM
outdoor
Ponderer

lol probably they make you sit down in a toilet like seat, and they poke you from......... the bottom :devilboy: oh wait that's for injection only hehe

Old 07-10-2004, 04:08 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Crow
It's a little tradition here that we tend to do various off-topic things on Friday nights.

--janak

Old 07-10-2004, 04:19 AM
Zab
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati Compton
No more need for nurses! All your medical needs filled automatically! Just be careful when the Nurse-o-matic takes your temperature...
In the air force the nurses dont do crap :wink:

The Med Techs/EMTs do all the dirty work. And as a person who draws a crapload of blood every day ( i draw on over 30 patients per day ) there is NO WAY IN HELL this machine would ever come within 5 miles of me