Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 07-07-2004, 06:39 PM
dean_shan
Mystic
Default Changing Default Theme

How (if you can) change the default theme in Windows XP? I would like it so when new users log-onto the computer they get the custom them and not the default Windows bliss. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-08-2004, 04:47 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

A few options. TGT Soft offers a program that lets you use any of the .theme files found on the Internet. That's the safest way, but it's not freeware. The free way involves using a patched/hacked uxtheme.dll file (that's the file that generates the actual theme from the .theme file). That can be found on many websites, but neowin has made a UXTheme Multi-Patcher that will usually do everything automatically. If you have SP2 installed though, you'll have to do it manually as well as find the uxtheme.dll file specifically for your build of SP2, as each build of windows requires a different version of uxtheme.dll (that's why Neowin made the Multi-Patcher).

Also, Stardock makes WindowsBlinds which is an alternative to the MS theme engine. Not only do they charge for it, but it uses more system resources. I personally wouldn't go with this.

Hope you enjoy the world of themes. I'll never go back to Luna (the default XP theme) on my desktop.

BTW, here's my desktop from a few days ago:

edit: just re-read your post...hmm, when new users log on, get the custom theme. Just thinking outside the box here, but you may need to replace the Luna theme with the custom one you choose. By default, Windows will load the Luna file, so I guess you can trick it by renaming the custom theme to Luna, but that's a little risky. BTW, themse are located in C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes.

Old 07-08-2004, 04:18 PM
dean_shan
Mystic

Hey you went to NYLF Tech?

Old 07-08-2004, 05:30 PM
dean_shan
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
BTW, themse are located in C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes.
Thanks that's what I was looking for. I modified the Luna.theme and now things work the way I want them to. Now new users get the theme and desktop that is not the ugly Luna.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:48 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_shan
Hey you went to NYLF Tech?
Yep, went last year and am going back this year in a little over two weeks. How do you know about NYLF?

Old 07-08-2004, 06:16 PM
dean_shan
Mystic

I went to the one in San Jose last year.

Old 07-08-2004, 06:33 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_shan
I went to the one in San Jose last year.
Ah, ok. Feel free to join the NYLF Message Boards.