Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 07-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Toshiba Leaving The PDA Business?

http://translate.google.com/transla...%3Fstoryid%3D58

This tidbit of news has been flying around the 'Net, so while it's still a rumor, I guess it's worthwhile to mention it. Windows Mobile.ch reported (English translation link above) that, when they called Toshiba Switzerland and asked them for information on the e800, they were told that e800 production has been stopped and that that Toshiba would "not sell any more PDAs"... and that the press had yet to be notified of this fact.

If this happens, it'll certainly be quite sad -- first Sony, then Toshiba? However, I think we need to wait until we hear more official statements -- otherwise, why would Toshiba have gone to all the trouble of releasing WM2003SE updates for the e405 and e805? And why wouldn't they have officially announced it yet?

Old 07-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Ecks
Ponderer

wow..that is some serious news..i do hope that it isn't true. It would be such a shame if it were.

Old 07-07-2004, 06:12 PM
dean_shan
Mystic

Noooooooooooooo

Let's hope this is just a rumour. I love Toshiba PDAs. I don't care if Sony left but Toshiba is my baby.

Old 07-07-2004, 06:32 PM
ppcsurfr
Philosopher

Here is something which I think goes beyond technology...

Clutures...

I think there is a problem with the difference in cultures here... If you notice, these companies seem to survive pretty well with their domestic market... I think they even release more devices in their own market than they do outside Japan.

Outside Japan, we all look for customer care and upgradeability.

In Japan they look at being able to replace their device with a whole new one when it comes out.

We've seen it coming... who are the companies that refuse to furnish users upgrades unconditionally? None comes to mind. They may have upgrades simply to boost the marketing of their current devices which are supposed to come out earlier than WM2003SE... But will they offer it for their other devices? Not at all...

Until they get a grasp of the market that is not their own... we'll never see a following as strong as that being enjoyed by HP, Dell, and other smaller companies that are offering these precious updates.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Old 07-07-2004, 06:35 PM
yankeejeep
Thinker

You'll recall that a similar rumor was circulating shortly before the SE update was posted in Europe for the e800. They may be considering stepping out of the US market, which would help explain the delay in getting a US release of the WM2003SE ROM image, but there seems to be a lot of European activity for a company preparing to leave the PDA market altogether. I really hope this is just another crazy rumor that has gotten started because folks are antsy about SE status in the US. I love my 805 and have talked a couple of other people into getting one.

Old 07-07-2004, 06:37 PM
ScottC
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcsurfr
They may have upgrades simply to boost the marketing of their current devices which are supposed to come out earlier than WM2003SE... But will they offer it for their other devices? Not at all...

Until they get a grasp of the market that is not their own... we'll never see a following as strong as that being enjoyed by HP, Dell, and other smaller companies that are offering these precious updates.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo
Care to point me to the WM2003SE upgrades from Dell or HP? I think Toshiba was one of the few that DID offer these upgrades to existing customers.

IMHO Toshibas problem was that they didn't really make any devices, at least Dell and HP design and manufacture (part) of their devices, the Toshibas were 100% outsourced and were pretty much like what the 1940 is to HP. Margins on products like that are pretty slim and it's a hell of a market to be working in.

I'm also assuming they have some MAJOR quality issues, for the scale of their market share there were simply too many refurbished devices out there, pretty much every retailer had refurb e405's in stock.

Old 07-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Marcel_Proust
Theorist

The major thing this little tidbit signifies is a slow news day.
Little morsels about Brittney would be just as good.

Old 07-07-2004, 06:55 PM
bbarker
Philosopher
Default Re: Toshiba Leaving The PDA Business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
And why wouldn't they have officially announced it yet?
Maybe so they can sell existing inventory?

I hope this doesn't happen. The current Toshibas are excellent devices.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:04 PM
ppcsurfr
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcsurfr
They may have upgrades simply to boost the marketing of their current devices which are supposed to come out earlier than WM2003SE... But will they offer it for their other devices? Not at all...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo
Care to point me to the WM2003SE upgrades from Dell or HP? I think Toshiba was one of the few that DID offer these upgrades to existing customers.

IMHO Toshibas problem was that they didn't really make any devices, at least Dell and HP design and manufacture (part) of their devices, the Toshibas were 100% outsourced and were pretty much like what the 1940 is to HP. Margins on products like that are pretty slim and it's a hell of a market to be working in.

I'm also assuming they have some MAJOR quality issues, for the scale of their market share there were simply too many refurbished devices out there, pretty much every retailer had refurb e405's in stock.
Offering it for new devices... which are supposed to be designed for it is nothing really... so I don't see anything special with the Toshiba offerings yet... but consistent updates or at least a track record that shows HP and Dell have actually offered such upgrades is something to consider.

Toshiba has a different view on upgrades... remember the EUUs and how Toshiba almost refused to release any?

We're so used with Japanese products here in the Philippines... and we're so used to seeing people get these japanese devices which are on the shelves in japan for a limited time only...

There is a difference in market culture...

Carlo

Old 07-07-2004, 08:10 PM
ppcsurfr
Philosopher
Default Re: Toshiba Leaving The PDA Business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
And why wouldn't they have officially announced it yet?
Maybe so they can sell existing inventory?

I hope this doesn't happen. The current Toshibas are excellent devices.
The way Toshiba works makes me believe that they want to force their own culture on others...

"This device has this version of the OS... you want the latest OS, buy the newest device... Oh... you want the one with the updates... we have that version too... it's the one with the larger ROM too... Buy it... then you'll get what you want..."

Well this is how I see them... this is my opinion based on how I know Asian culture... I do hope they don't go this way...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo