Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-01-2004, 04:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default GpsGate: Share One GPS Amongst Several Applications

http://franson.biz/gpsgate/

"GpsGate lets you share one GPS between several applications. GpsGate can create any number of virtual serial ports which most NMEA enabled GPS applications can connect to."

They also have tools to simulate a GPS device and to log real-time GPS data. It's probably not for the average GPS user, but if you're a big GPS fan, you may be interested in one or more of these applications.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:39 AM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Janak,

Have you heard how stable this is? I've seen and played with similar apps to get net stumbler and MS MapPoint to function but in every case the software has been really twitchy. So much so that I've contemplated shelling out the cash for a 2nd GPS receiver.
Obviously this would be a better, and cheaper, solution.

Old 07-01-2004, 06:05 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
Have you heard how stable this is?
No clue whatsoever. I stumbled across it on one of my many RSS feeds and though it'd be postworthy. Feel free to post back if you end up playing with it.

--janak

Old 07-01-2004, 08:39 AM
Kaber
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Kaber

Does this need .NET CF installed on Pocket Pc 2002 devices? I can't find on the site if it does or doesn't.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:57 PM
snowlion
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaber
Does this need .NET CF installed on Pocket Pc 2002 devices? I can't find on the site if it does or doesn't.
i doubt it does...it's a low-level driver software.

for Jonathan1, this software addresses multple gps software running on a single device...so i assume you connected 2 gps receivers to the same pda. i'm curious to know what kind of apps you'd be running simultaneously.

Old 07-01-2004, 06:27 PM
BevHoward
Intellectual

Thinking out loud here, this might have additional applications such as using a terminal program to connect through to an internal network and then allowing a "connection" to pick up a network connection via one of the "virtual ports"

Old 07-02-2004, 02:52 AM
Kaber
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlion
Quote:
i doubt it does...it's a low-level driver software.

for Jonathan1, this software addresses multple gps software running on a single device...so i assume you connected 2 gps receivers to the same pda. i'm curious to know what kind of apps you'd be running simultaneously.
I would think something like navigation software and possibly MiniStumbler. I mean thats why I would want this app.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:10 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Two things to note:

A) Both the desktop and Pocket PC versions cost $30 for a single license, a discrepancy from the usual desktop software vs Pocket PC software pricing model.

2) I know there's at least one other Windows utility that does this and iirc it's free.

Old 07-02-2004, 09:17 AM
Kaber
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
2) I know there's at least one other Windows utility that does this and iirc it's free.
Do tell. PocketPC version?

Old 07-02-2004, 09:12 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
Do tell. PocketPC version?
Desktop only. A few quick :google:s lead to Comfoolery. I figure it's only a matter of time until this gets ported by someone to the Pocket PC platform.