Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 06-29-2004, 02:00 PM
marlof
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default The Death Of Style

http://www.brighthand.com/article/T..._Style?site=PPC

Ed Hardy and Steve Bush over at Brighthand have a sweet spot for the HP iPAQ 1900 series. In his review of the original 1910, Steve wrote: "The iPAQ h1910 Pocket PC is the picture of understated beauty", in his review of the iPAQ h1940 Ed wrote: "I can comfortably say that HP's h1900 series is, hands down, the best looking group of handhelds ever made". The 4100 series was clearly based on the 1900 form factor, and Steve wrote in his review: "The HP h4155 Pocket PC is an object of pure elegance, with a simplicity of design that could have just as well come out of Cupertino". And now, with the new line-up of iPAQs, that form factor will come to an end. In the linked article, Ed Hardy has described why he feels this is a bad move, and he concludes with the following remarks: "The best form factor ever created for a Pocket PC is the one developed for the h1900. HP would be short-sighted to give it up. This company needs to develop more handhelds using this basic design if it wants to keep growing its market share". What do you think? Is Ed right and is HP at risk of losing market share by leaving this design, or do you feel the iPAQs could also have success in the market using a different (and from what I can tell: more boxy) design?

Old 06-29-2004, 02:25 PM
kkelley
Neophyte
Default Even Volvo isn't so boxy anymore ...

Personally, I have a 2215 (needed the slots), but I have always liked the 1900 form factor. I like the 2215 as well, but the 1900 just had that little bit more.

It seems that just about all of the new devices that are either out or coming out in the near future are going for the boxy design. Reminds me of Volvo cars (until recently - they're getting better :wink: ). However, unlike Volvo, PDA designers are moving in the wrong direction while subscribing to the slogan "Boxy is good!"

I agree that HP would be mistaken to abandon the form factor. Personally, when I buy my next PDA, form will definitely follow very closely to function. Unless someone comes up with something at least a little more stylish than a box of cracker jacks my 2215 (warts and all) will just have to keep on carrying the load.

Old 06-29-2004, 02:31 PM
badbob001
Ponderer

It is mentionsed that the 1900 design is from another company. Do you think HP owns the design and manufacturing rights or are they simply reselling a rebranded version? Maybe they don't their profits eaten up by an outsource.

I most definitely think a design with some curves is better than a boxy one (but lets not get too crazy with the curves like the bulgy Nokia 36xx). I'm embarassed to say that after I replaced my Palm Pilot Pro with a Palm III w/ the flip cover, I did occasionally stroke the cover with my thumb. My next device, the boxy Handspring Visor, not so sexy despite the non-flip hard cover.

Hmm. Maybe this means flip covers are sexy! I'm sure they can do wonders by slapping a nice curvy cover onto a boxy device.

I would like to see something like the 1900 but stretched a bit tall-wise to add a treo-like keypad and a bigger battery. Hey, that's the h43xx... which we'll never see again, right?

Old 06-29-2004, 02:44 PM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K

For me, it's not so much about the curves as it is about the size.
I know a lot of people would love to have an iPAQ H19xx/H41xx sized device with the features of a next generation Pocket PC.

Old 06-29-2004, 02:44 PM
PresBry
Pupil
Default Boxy has the moxy!

Frankly, I like the more boxy designs.

In my opinion, which I'm sure is in the minority, the more curvy designs look more like something a high school or college kid would carry. They also look quite feminine and frail.

By contrast, I think the more square or rectangular designs look more mature and business-like. They convey power and sophistication.

Of course, this is pretty much my take on everything...cars, houses, etc.

Old 06-29-2004, 03:03 PM
farnold
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to farnold
Default Re: The Death Of Style

What do they say there?

Quote:
This company needs to develop more handhelds using this basic design if it wants to keep growing its market share
Gee, some guys never get it. Their taste is not everyone's... AND... Growth comes not from a basic design but from easy-to-use for non insiders. BRIGHTHAND zero points :wink:

Old 06-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Stephen Beesley
Thoughts Media Review Team
Default Re: Boxy has the moxy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresBry

In my opinion, which I'm sure is in the minority, the more curvy designs look more like something a high school or college kid would carry. They also look quite feminine and frail.

By contrast, I think the more square or rectangular designs look more mature and business-like. They convey power and sophistication.

Couldn't agree more - in fact I was just in the process of typing much the same thing when I saw you post

One of the things I really do not like the the HP designs in question was the button layout - which is also one of the few things I am not sure about in the Ausus 730 design.

Probably my favourite design (apart from the original Jornada 54x) is the Toshiba e740/e750 design.

Old 06-29-2004, 03:15 PM
powder2000
Thinker
Default Re: Boxy has the moxy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Beesley
Quote:
Originally Posted by PresBry

Couldn't agree more - in fact I was just in the process of typing much the same thing when I saw you post

One of the things I really do not like the the HP designs in question was the button layout - which is also one of the few things I am not sure about in the Ausus 730 design.

Probably my favourite design (apart from the original Jornada 54x) is the Toshiba e740/e750 design.
I'm with you there. I too like the boxy design. I do like the 1900 form factor but the screen is too small and the button layout is ok. I really liked those toshibas though, and I know I'm in the minority.

Old 06-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Darren Behan
Intellectual

While technically you can fit other PPC's in your shirt pocket, IMHO the 1900 series was the only one that actually felt like it belonged there. Everyone has their own taste/needs, of course, but I lament the loss of the PocketPC in favor of the by an large brick like designs I'm seeing today.

db

Old 06-29-2004, 03:19 PM
possmann
Oracle
Send a message via MSN to possmann Send a message via Skype™ to possmann

Personally I love the 1900 design. It's easy to hold because of it's curves. Hold a stack of cards in your hands, then hold a stack of cards in your hands that is shaped like the 1900 series - which one is more comfortable to hold?

Hands down - looks go to the 1900 as well as ergonomics. Now if they (someone) came up with an ergonomic box-shaped device I'd be all for that as well 8)