Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-24-2004, 01:00 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Hotmail to Google: Me Too!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3835495.stm

"Hotmail is boosting the amount of storage space for users of both its free and paid e-mail service. From July the basic Hotmail allowance will be boosted to 250MB and paying customers will get two gigabytes. The move is widely seen as a response to Google's GMail service which gives all users a gigabyte of storage to keep all their messages."

No, Hotmail's opportunism is just a tactical response to Google's generous offer of a free Gigabyte of mail storage space? :wink: Suits me. Competition is good, we like competition. 8) Now just to get Hotmail working well with the Pocket PC.....

Old 06-24-2004, 02:00 PM
dhpss
Intellectual
Default Outlook 2003 & Hotmail

I just installed Outlook 2003, and found out there is Hotmail service included in the email account settings.

Unlike the normal Pop3 accounts, On the left pane, Hotmail has it own inbox, outbox,sent, delete,..folders

If Outlook 2003 can be Hotmail client, then PocketPC can sync with Hotmail, right? (have not tried yet)

Old 06-24-2004, 02:17 PM
ppc_kiwi
Pupil

This is good for us basic users. Now I can send and receive bigger files.

Nice move Hotmail/Microsoft. :mrgreen:

Old 06-24-2004, 02:29 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

The only problem is that you can�t pop a hotmail account and that does not give you the oportunity of using any other email program but MS. I have not found any way to use hotmail with Opera, neither Mozilla.

Old 06-24-2004, 02:39 PM
bluewhirr
Neophyte

You can use Hotmail with Mozilla/Thunderbird. Check out this link: http://2mod2.com/mohot/

Also, getting hotmail to work on a pocketpc is as easy as changing the client ID string in Netfront to something like Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7) so Hotmail won't load the mobile version. Of course, you have to be using Netfront in the first place....lol.

Old 06-24-2004, 02:51 PM
David Johnston
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhirr
You can use Hotmail with Mozilla/Thunderbird. Check out this link: http://2mod2.com/mohot/
Slightly off-topic: I wonder how tricky it would be to create a ActiveSync module/plugin that could read e-mail, contacts and calendar from Thunderbird and sync it? I've been wondering about this for a while but not looked into it any further...

Old 06-24-2004, 02:52 PM
surur
Mystic

There are a variety of hotmail POP solutions (e.g hot2pop : ), but I never liked pop mail. I rather keep a copy of my important e-mails on the server, then it will be available on my pocketpc, desktop and laptop. The very low limit of 2Mb has made this difficult however, causing you to have to weed your e-mail constantly. i however have e-mail on my hotmail account from more than 2 years ago (with product keys etc in there).

250Mb is more than I'll likely need for a long time, and this negates G-mail's main advantage. Ive had my hotmail account for more than 10 years now (longer than Ive been married ) and with this announcement I am not planning on moving any time soon.

Ill have to buy am Imap client for hotmail though (e.g. izymail) to get some real value out of it.

(BTW, the person who said you can read hotmail in outlook 2003, its likely you can not synchronize it to your pocketpc)

Surur

Old 06-24-2004, 03:02 PM
sub_tex
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surur
... but I never liked pop mail. I rather keep a copy of my important e-mails on the server, then it will be available on my pocketpc, desktop and laptop.
You could alwayd just choose to have POP leave a copy of the message on the server and you would in effect keep the setup you like in IMAP (you just loose the many othe rbenfits of IMAP). This way at least you can always have copies wherever you are.

I do that myself and it has always been a nice alternative for hotmail accounts or any other free email service that desn't offer POP.

Old 06-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Ryan Joseph
Philosopher

Yahoo is doing the same thing.

My brother uses Yahoo email and he got a message from them saying that their free email storage would be increased from 4MB to 100MB. Not bad. 8)

He also said the maximum size for an incoming email message was increased to 10MB. That's great news, because I try to send him large files all the time and Yahoo's always rejected them before.

Ah, good times. And they say email is dead. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Old 06-24-2004, 03:26 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor
Default Re: Outlook 2003 & Hotmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhpss
I just installed Outlook 2003, and found out there is Hotmail service included in the email account settings.

Unlike the normal Pop3 accounts, On the left pane, Hotmail has it own inbox, outbox,sent, delete,..folders

If Outlook 2003 can be Hotmail client, then PocketPC can sync with Hotmail, right? (have not tried yet)
Nope, the PPC still only syncs with the regular Inbox, not the Hotmail Service one. If you have Hotmail you wish to sync, you can drag it into the regular Inbox, get HTTPMail (or something similar) or sign up for the, currently free, Pocket MSN. Just remember to cancel it if they don't get any better.

P.S. Outlook 2002 (XP) has the HTTP Mail feature as well.