Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-22-2004, 05:42 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Bug in my LCD...

Literally.

I have a 20" LCD at home (Viewsonic VP201m) that I love. It's been flawless, until I turned it on tonight, and discovered a bug. That is, an insect. Tiny, around 2mm, but large enough to be noticeable as it walks under the screen. Looks like he got between the backlight and the LCD by crawling through the vents. I've never had this happen to me before.

Anyone have suggestions as to what I should do? Possibilities I can think of include:

1. Wait and hope it dies and "falls off" the edge of the screen;
2. Wait and hope it crawls out;
3. Air can applied to vents;
4. Disassemble LCD. 8O

Suggestions would be appreciated! Humorous comments are welcome too, but be nice.

--janak

Old 06-22-2004, 08:33 AM
JackTheTripper
Sage
Send a message via AIM to JackTheTripper

2 words. Bread crumbs.

Or....

You catch more flies (bugs) with honey......

I was gonna say just squish it, but then it would smear the inside of your screen.

Still have the reciept? Take it back and tell them it's "buggy."

I've got nothing.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:10 PM
Steven Cedrone

Well, if you can determine the bug's gender, you can probably entice it to come out. It would require a bug of the opposite sex, maybe a little wine and some soft music... :wink:

Or, you could just get a big bug and send it in after the little bug! But then you have to figure out how to get the big bug out! Well, you could always get a bigger bug to go after the big bug you sent after the little bug... :wink:

Heh, I would just wait and hope for the best... :twisted:

Steve

Old 06-22-2004, 12:18 PM
wocket
Thinker

OK i'll get the puns out of the way first :lol:

MS still buggy as ever

Have you tried to use RAID?

Draw a maze on the screen and train it to follow it

Phone up tech support and tell them you have a wandering alive pixel.

Other than that dismantle the display it and get it out. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2004, 01:30 PM
milkman dan
Intellectual

go with an air can. How the bloody HELL it managed that is COMPLEATLY beyond me, as LCD's are usually just a cold cathod tube, stuck to a plastic panel, with a few refract0r sheets, and the lcd itself slapped over that, then compleatly sealed with a sticky, strong tinfoil like wrapper, and it is ALWAYS nearly airtight to prevent light from leaking. I honestly can think of no way whatsoever this would be possible, unless your lcd is built different than the ones I've seen (a possibility, as I have never toyed with a 20" lcd). If the spray can doesn't get it out, might I suggest taking it to a laptop repair technician and explaining the problem, they are probably best suited to deal with the probolem aside from the manufacturer themselvs, but if it isn't under warranty they are going to charge you more than it cost most likley

Old 06-22-2004, 04:03 PM
ghostppc
Intellectual

Hmm, during your extensive tests of trial and error, you might stumble across a new use for bluetooth. The "Bluetooth Bug Zapper" "Kill annoying little buggers from the comfort of your backyard with safe, invisble wireless technology. Safer than Raid. And convenient download for only $99.99" :lol:

Old 06-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Tom W.M.
Theorist

:rofl: Please, show us a photo!

Old 06-22-2004, 06:33 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheTripper
I was gonna say just squish it, but then it would smear the inside of your screen.
The screen is hard, actually, so I couldn't. I scanned Google Groups, and found that someone did squish one in their laptop... and it was stuck there. 8O

Quote:
Still have the reciept? Take it back and tell them it's "buggy."
It's more than a year old... and it's not like I live in an insect den, so I'm shocked to see this happen for the first time.

--janak

Old 06-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cedrone
Or, you could just get a big bug and send it in after the little bug! But then you have to figure out how to get the big bug out! Well, you could always get a bigger bug to go after the big bug you sent after the little bug... :wink:
How about I send you after the bigger bug? :twisted:

--janak

Old 06-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocket
Other than that dismantle the display it and get it out. Good luck!
Yeah - that might be one choice. I'm afraid of doing it, though. It's not a laptop, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman dan
go with an air can. How the bloody HELL it managed that is COMPLEATLY beyond me, as LCD's are usually just a cold cathod tube, stuck to a plastic panel, with a few refract0r sheets, and the lcd itself slapped over that, then compleatly sealed with a sticky, strong tinfoil like wrapper, and it is ALWAYS nearly airtight to prevent light from leaking.
You've got me! It's pretty standard Viewsonic fare. That said, it is a really tiny bug - one that I might not even notice outside - but inside the shadow can't be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W.M.
Please, show us a photo!
I didn't have a camera handy last night that was capable of macro. I'll bring one home tonight and snap a shot if it's still there/alive.

--janak