Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-21-2004, 11:00 PM
Pat Logsdon
Magi
Default AT&T's Audiovox PPC4100

http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/ind...iewtopic&t=3557

"I got mine last Wednesday - I was able to get it on a special pre-order from AT&T Business for $224.99! What can I say about it? It definitely is worth it, even with a few of its drawbacks, I still think this device is a definite value. Before I go on, here are the pics of AT&Ts rendition of what is also known as the Wistron's AnexTEK Pocket PC Phone SP230:"

Rey has a few high-res pics of this new Audiovox unit up on MobileGadgetNews. The cradle is interesting, but other than that, I'm a bit underwhelmed. Add the fact that Audiovox is dropping out of the North American phone market, and I think we've got a bit of a lame duck here. What do you think?

Old 06-22-2004, 12:07 AM
Paragon
Magi

Sorry Pat....."Lame duck"...NO WAY! You are extremely hard pressed to find a standard Pocket PC for this kind of money. This is a converged device and it is selling for less than $300.00 USD. Is it feature rich? No. Does it have most of the features that most users (read, non-power users) want and need? YES, definitely. The biggest gripe we have heard about converged devices to date is the cost. This device addresses that issue head on. Does the average user want Bluetooth? NO. Does the average user want WiFi? No. Does the average user need 128mb of RAM? No. Does the average user want a camera? No. Nor do they want to pay for them.

Personally I see this device as a huge breakthrough. I see it doing for converged devices what the Axim X5 did for Pocket PCs. I think this device is going to be the one we look back on and say it was responsible for leading great numbers of people to converged PPC/Phones.

From what I hear AT&T are sold out of this device already.

Dave

Old 06-22-2004, 12:10 AM
foldedspace
Thinker

If I wasn't leaving for the Pacific in a few months, I'd buy one and swap my sim card back and forth tween it and my phone. ATT and TMobile might not have the best service, but they have the best phones.

Old 06-22-2004, 01:03 AM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

This isn't the exact device that we saw in earlier drooly pictures. I guess when Audiovox branded it, they decided the flip down keypad was a bad feature. I personally thought it was the best feature, and I refuse to buy any pda that has a soft keypad. I spend too much time in the car to make that kind of sacrifice ;-)

Old 06-22-2004, 02:06 AM
jngold_me
Thinker

Quote:
Does the average user want Bluetooth? NO
As more and more people find out that they can "unwire" themselves from a phone device, BT will become more and more desired by "non power" users.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:14 AM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jngold_me
Quote:
Does the average user want Bluetooth? NO
As more and more people find out that they can "unwire" themselves from a phone device, BT will become more and more desired by "non power" users.
jngold_me

I think you are right, but this is available now....not sometime in the future when Bluetooth possibly catches on.

Dave

Old 06-22-2004, 03:58 AM
jonlien2003
Pupil

I personally liked the Siemens SX-56 phone that AT&T decided to discontinued this year. It is true that these North American carriers will not likely bring over the much-hyped and very expensive XDA II aka i-mate because the typical users don't care for such features as bluetooth or 128 megs of ram as Paragon mentioned.

I happen to be in the minority as I went from the SX-56 to the i-mate. Both phones have there pros and cons.

Old 06-22-2004, 04:20 AM
thunderck
Intellectual

I just I am not an average user because I am holding on for a posible MDA III from Sprint or even better Verizon. :devilboy:

ohh BTW is this the same unit that has 'reported' high radiation levels :?:

Old 06-22-2004, 04:37 AM
Dennis
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Does it have most of the features that most users (read, non-power users) want and need? YES, definitely. The biggest gripe we have heard about converged devices to date is the cost. This device addresses that issue head on. Does the average user want Bluetooth? NO. Does the average user want WiFi? No. Does the average user need 128mb of RAM? No. Does the average user want a camera? No. Nor do they want to pay for them. Dave
Dave, as an average user, let me answer your questions (please note that I don't live in the US - and I believe from what I read in this and other forums, that the basic consummer expectations are very different in the US and the rest of the world: I have the feeling that we expect (and get!) more...):

Does the average user want Bluetooth?
Yes!
For more than one year now, I do not buy a new device if it is not Bluetooth-enabled. The technology is now reliable, works pretty well, there are more and more devices that are available and allow smooth cable-free and easy communication between them (headsets, of course, but also printers, name it!).
For what I see, Bluetooth is quickly becoming a 'must have' standards as more and more users are adopting it (especially in the UK since the beginning of the year and the new law related to driving and speaking on a mobile phone).

Does the average user want WiFi?
No.... but wait!
Today WiFi is mostly a corporate-related functionality. It is very useful to connect easily to a local network.
But think about it: In your own house, you can create a local network with your family computers at a cost that goes down every six months or so.
You can expect to have every middle-class family and up (those who can offer to have more than one computer at home) to be WiFied in the next five years.
At that time, you'll want your PDA to be WiFi-enabled too.

Does the average user need 128mb of RAM?
Of course yes!
Does the average user want the 40Gb hard drive that come as standard with their new desktop, even if they'll never fill it up? Yes!
What's more, as a corporate user who never listens to music and never play games (boring!), I just bought a 256Mb SD-card to increase my device memory because I was running short.
'Basic users', even business basic users download music and games, only to keep themselves busy at the airport between two flights.
I travel a lot and observe my fellow travelers: most of them listen to music or play 'shoot them up' games to keep themselves busy.
The bigger memory capacity is therefore the better!

Does the average user want a camera?
I'm not sure...
I know that I don't want a camera on my device, only because I never feel like taking a picture.
What's more, there are countries in the world, or corporations in open countries that don't allow cameras in their premises.
Only for that reason should there be devices with and without camera - as PalmOne just did with its Treo 600 which is now available with and without camera.
Smart move, PalmOne!

Old 06-22-2004, 05:48 AM
dorelse
Intellectual

Well, mine should be here tomorrow. Here's my thoughts on why I purchased it:

1) Convergence. Tired of lugging my Nokia 3650 & T3 around.
2) Price - $385-$50 = $335.00 for a PDA/Phone...yipee!
3) Function - PPC (Goodness) + Phone.
4) No Camera - NOT ALLOWED - where I work...a nice PDA/Phone W/O a D*$% cheap useless camera. AWESOME!
5) SDIO - Wi-FI when & where I need it.
6) Bluetooth? Don't care now that the 2 things I previously needed bluetooth for are together forever.

All in all, its a great device...its amazing how small it really is. Light too. Compared it to the Treo...decided for $115.00 less, I get a bigger screen, more processor power, PPC software...it was a no brainer.

I really had no interest in the keypad flip cover...from some early reviews, it was more in the way, than useful. I invested in a nice Martin Fields screen protector instead.

The XDA III looks nice...wonder how much it'll cost...that's also a potential future upgrade as well. I did see that the Audiovox isn't listed on the AT&T Wireless site anymore...is that because they're sold out? Or b/c Audiovox killed it already...I hope its the former...b/c its really a nice device.

Found it...its listed as out of stock: http://www.attwireless.com/personal/...&titleNumber=1